Elysian Fields: Writers' Block: How to Murdalize - Elysian Fields

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Writers' Block: How to Murdalize A topic about jumpstarting your muse.

#1 User is offline   Elias Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Group: Retired
  • Elias Solanus
  • Looks:22
  • Race:Zanaryan
  • Class:Unclassed
  • Specialty:Djan
  • Profile:View
  • Abilities:View
  • Fame:+10
  • Sparrow
  • Player Limits:View
  • Other Characters:Max

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:48 AM

Even I get writers' block, and quite often at that. Being an old man, I've learned how intensely annoying it can get, and a few ways on how to make it poof away, but what about you guys? I'm curious to know how the multitude of people here on EF have learned to combat their literal loss of words, even if all you do is walk away from the keyboard and busy yourself with other things (such as crocheting or building cabinets).

My method? I have no method. If words don't come, I don't make a move one way or the other, like the lazy old man I am.

#2 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

I'd like to say it's magic that keeps my muse going when I get writers' block, just to look cool, but mostly it's persistence. Like, if I'm struggling with one character, I'll leave them be until I've posted for the rest, and the act of writing usually kick-starts my muse back to life. That's where having several characters, each in several threads, comes in handy, because if I'm having trouble figuring out how to write a post for one character in one thread, I can keep going in another.

If that doesn't work, I "percolate". I go away and do something else, like make a layout or do something arty in paintshop. Or watch TV or something. I'm lucky in that I can go away and not think about EF or a problem post, but come back when I'm done percolating with a post almost fully written. But I'm also lucky in that most of my posts write themselves anyway...

I do seem to be having a lot more trouble lately keeping a muse active for a thread that's taking a long time to move on for some reason. I haven't really figured out how to cope with this issue yet. :?

But yeah, mostly it's just persistence. (:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic