Elysian Fields: Down in the Dark [FIN] - Elysian Fields

The Realm of Elysia

Elysia has only one visible moon and a yellow sun named Hel. All species are welcome in Elysia, though there are still prejudices abounding here. Some territories have been cut and claimed; certain technologies are shunned while others thrive; and the world is a rather eclectic mix of modern and archaic values, technologies and traditions. [ read more | map ]

Please specify your location in your topic description.
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Down in the Dark [FIN] Rowan Caverns Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   NPC Icon

• Eminent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: NPC
  • Various
  • Race:Newcomer
  • Other Characters:None

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

(( The NPCs Aithne, Enid, and Bran are being played by Colleen. ))

The waterfox seemed more than glad to be rid of the torch, even tilting up her head a bit so it was easier for Kiel to take. She barked softly in what could have been taken as a laugh when the 'vari joked that the big guy was a "rock fox". Enid figured that if there was such an animal, Bran would have found it by now. Whether or not he would have chosen to shift into one was another matter, but it wasn't an entirely far fetched notion.

Furry white ears swiveled down a notch, as Enid whined and rubbed Kiel's thigh with the side of her muzzle. The 'vari was unsettled. She could smell it about him, feel the uncertainty in his movements, hear the quickness in his voice. She needed him to look and feel confident ...

Wow. That was fast. Suspecting that her efforts had little to do with Kiel's sudden mood change, she never the less perked her ears right back up and yipped encouragingly. That was much better.

With an authoritative bark, she hopped forward then settled into a casual trot, staying just ahead of the 'vari. She avoided natural hazards, and tried to keep Kiel going at a steady clip.

Enid knew that her family was pacing them. They couldn't be sure that the one kumo had been fully responsible for the many deaths. Kumo had hunted in the caverns for years, and nothing so devastating had happened since the giant spiders were first discovered in the tunnels. For so many to have died .. No, it would be fine. If there were more, she and her pack would find them and end the threat. End of story.

alert for any sign of trouble, Enid set her mind and body to the task of guiding the 'vari to safety. Yes, her pack would worry about hunting down any remaining threats once he was on his way. Besides, there were the acknowledgements to consider. Would it be best to boost the 'vari's ego and allow him to take the reward for himself, and then inform him of who aided him, or should she shift before he reported to the Sentinel and take the credit for the Tunnel Runners? Hm. Decisions, decisions.
This account is intended for any member of Elysian Fields (or any guests who are thinking about joining) to use for the roleplaying of NPCs. It should not be used to post in any OOC area. Please make sure you state your member ID, and the NPC's name and/or species.

Username: NPC || Password: nonplayer
Avatar and photo credits: Gary Dourdan & Adriana Lima.

#22 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Hawt, hawt, hawt! :D
  • Icon

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

Kiel was blissfully unaware of any potential danger as he followed the white fox, feeling a bit like Alice. “Except for the part where she's a girl and I'm, like, you know. Not.”

It didn't occur to him that 1) Him saying random parts of his internal conversation out loud was weird, or 2) That the kumo might not have been acting alone. If it had, he 1) probably would have done it anyway, since it wasn't really something he did consciously, but 2) decided to stay so he could help find the spider's partner in crime.

And. Then. Probably woulda got himself stuck to another web or something, but it was the thought that counted, right?

“Hey, hey, man, slow down a bit here, okay?” It was odd him saying that, but the floor here was treacherous. Naturally slimy, 'cause water trickled down from the roof of the tunnel from what had to be underground river or something, and he was still grossed out by the thought of putting his hands on the walls for balance, so he kept slipping.

“So, like, you do this kinda thing often, man? I can totally see you all being, like, running around the tunnels making nuisances of yourself, hahahaha. But, like, it's cool, you know? Are you guys friends? I bet you're family or something, right?” There was a seamlessness to the way they operated, like they'd been doing it for a long time and worked well together, that just smacked of family. Kind of like his own family get-togethers, or just regular dinners, where the women in the kitchen somehow worked around each other in total sync. The guys weren't quite so down with the dancer timing, mostly 'cause for the festivals and stuff they worked outside on various projects so they didn't have to have to be in each others' space all the time, but after a couple hundred years of it, they just automatically knew what they had to do when. It was crazy awesome.

But then something occurred to him. “Hey, hey, I'm a guy. How come I always ended up in the kitchen?” He'd never thought about it before, you know? Kitchen meant food meant Kiel wasn't far behind so he wasn't offended or anything, but it was just one of things that kinda jumped up out of the blue and made you think.

“You can hear that, right?” Voices, up ahead, and the tunnel was brighter. He'd seen lights closer together for a while, so they were obviously getting close to the heart of Rowan. “Like, they're not bad guys or anything, right? 'cause, like, I don't wanna get dead, you know? I gotta tell Zeph how awesome I was.” Even though he'd sworn earlier he wouldn't tell the dude anything about his little foray underground, no way he could keep his mouth shut, hahahaha.

#23 User is offline   NPC Icon

• Eminent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Various

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

(( The NPCs Aithne, Enid, and Bran are being played by Colleen. ))

The 'vari was going to end up on his arse if they kept going at the pace she'd chosen, so Enid obliged him and slowed down. The man's talking to himself was amusing in a way, though she couldn't imagine him ever being able to sneak up on anyone like that.

How did the 'vari hunt, anyway? She'd heard all sorts of fascinating rumors about the race, but rarely did she see their legendary powers at work. This guy certainly didn't seem all that powerful. He'd fallen prey to a kumo's web, after all. Then again, many of her race had been tricked recently, as well. Could it be that 'vari had just as many limitations as therians? Food for thought.

Kiel's determination to keep talking to Enid even though she was lacking the vocal chords to respond properly made up her mind. She could have altered her vulpine voicebox to allow her to respond, but the guy had been nervous enough earlier for that option to not seem very wise. Instead she stepped to one side and stopped. Turning around, she barked at the a pool of shadows, then sat on her haunches to wait.

Out of the darkness came the same firefox from earlier, carrying a small handbag in her mouth. Aithne disliked being the fetcher, but they'd all agreed beforehand that Bran staying out of sight was paramount for everyone's safety. He was their backup in case the girls got in over their heads, and the element of surprise improved their chance of survival. Regardless, the taste of the tunnel dirt on the handles of Enid's bag was making Aithne grouchy. Not to mention that she hadn't gotten the chance to boast to the delectable 'vari about just who had saved him. That was making her really twitchy. With a melodramatic huff of breath and a bristling of her tail, the firefox dumped the bag by the waterfox's front paws, yipped once, then spun about and sashayed right up to defiantly headbutt Kiel's leg in the hopes of getting some attention. Just because she couldn't tell him who she was didn't mean she couldn't get something out of this bodyguard/guide gig.

The waterfox didn't seem perturbed by the firefox's behaviour. She just peeled the flap of the bag back carefully with her teeth, then buried her muzzle inside the thing. Once her head popped back up with a mouthful of cloth, she scampered out of sight. Aithne and Bran would take care of the man while she shifted and got dressed. It wouldn't take her long to do either.

In fact, not four minutes later, a bare foot so pale it seemed almost white stepped into the pool of light the waterfox had left Kiel standing in. The light kept traveling up to reveal a very feminine, seemingly human woman in tantalizing stages. It crept up her leg to pool between her shapely thighs, and ... well, to describe the rest might have been a bit lewd, for she was wearing but a thin white sleeveless dress that didn't quite reach to the middle of those creamy .. Eh hem. The skirt's hem was pretty short. The top of the dress dipped down just enough to give interested folk interesting ideas. The whole thing looked very soft and inviting, just like the rest of her. Long and straight silver-white hair brushed the woman's hips, and she twirled a strand of it about a slender finger as she smiled slowly up at Kiel. Her other hand was carrying the bag the waterfox had raided. Friendly cornflower blue eyes did their best to draw Kiel's attention to the woman's face. They lit with warmth while the woman said, "Yes, the heart of the Rowan is not far now. That is why you hear what you do."

As she casually approached the 'vari, Kiel might have noticed that the lady was at least two inches shorter than he. That only lended to her dainty appearance. "Please accept my apology for not introducing myself earlier. I am Enid, and you have already met Aithne."

The firefox yipped in what could have been agreement, then planted herself beside Kiel's nearest leg. She was so not going back into hiding. That was boring, even if the view of the 'vari's hindquarters was pretty nice from back there.

"Come, it should not be long now," Enid prompted before half turning in the direction the noises Kiel had overheard were originating from, "Perhaps on the way we may yet learn more of one another, mm?"
This account is intended for any member of Elysian Fields (or any guests who are thinking about joining) to use for the roleplaying of NPCs. It should not be used to post in any OOC area. Please make sure you state your member ID, and the NPC's name and/or species.

#24 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

Like.

Woah.

Kiel couldn't have said his mind was completely blank, 'cause it sooooo wasn't, but what was in there didn't bear repeating.

His eyes never made it to her face, and even though a part of him was aware of his leg being knocked gently by a foxy head, he couldn't drag his gaze away from the chick who he was pretty sure had been all furry a minute ago.

Ew. He was ogling a waterfox. How creepy was that?

Don't tell Zeph, don't tell Zeph, don't tell - !

She was talking, right? Except, he was pretty sure what she was saying was in another language or something, 'cause he didn't catch a word of it. He got that he was supposed to follow her when she started moving again, but it still took his legs a second to catch up with his eyes. Dude. Like, just, dude, man. What was it with Therians and loin cloths?

Okay, so like, she was wearing more than a loin cloth, but sheesh, you know? It seemed like most of the people he'd met lately were naturists or something! So weird, man.

Kiel finally managed to pry his eyes away from the chick when he was startled by a loud hiss as they turned a corner, and found himself facing a group of Therian males, one of whom clearly spent way too much time with snakes.

“Pick up a stray, Flynn?” They snickered amongst themselves, and Kiel was a second away from going over there and pounding on some heads, but then heard a shuffle coming from the opposite tunnel and turned to see the Sentinel approaching. He took one look at the hissing snake dude and his gang, and the lot of them scarpered.

“Hahahahaha, that's cool, man, I wish I could do that, hahaha.”

“Enid. Success?” Like, dude, way talkative, man.

“We totally kicked that kumo's butt, man, like, right, right? Hahahahaha.”

(( I figured he ought to know who they are, and that they'll be known among other Therians (especially ones who roam the tunnels). :) ))

#25 User is offline   NPC Icon

• Eminent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Various

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

(( The NPCs Aithne, Enid, and Bran are being played by Colleen.

That's perfect, Emma. Thank you. :) ))

Aithne was getting grumpier by the moment. First Bran took the kill, and then Enid was making the 'vari's eyes almost pop out of his head. She was being completely ignored, and earlier she could have sworn that the guy was checking her out. What in Xanth's name was the problem? Was her firefox form not cute and fuzzy enough? She had half a mind to start gnawing on Kiel's ankle to see if that got his attention when she heard the sounds that indicated people moving in a nearby tunnel.

Well, that sucked rancid deer fat. She couldn't let her jealousy of her sister's physique get in the way of keeping her family and the 'vari safe. With a low growl, Aithne nipped the air by Kiel's leg, then dashed off to take up her previous post. If trouble was on the way, she and Bran would circle around and flank it. Aithne was pretty sure Kiel was too oriented on Enid's swaying hips to notice her tactical retreat, anyway.

"Pick up a stray, Flynn?"

Enid's lips curved into an amused little smile as she shifted her position to be between the therian males and Kiel. It was so very kind of the fellows to hand over an opportunity to tease some answers out of them. Perhaps they would know which of the tunnels had been explored thoroughly and recently? Recognizing some of their faces, in particular the one who was partially morphed into a serpent, she opened her mouth to respond, then slowly shut it when the Sentinel entered her field of vision.

Few folk commanded Enid's total respect. The Sentinel was such a man. Enid didn't care about where the other males were headed, just that they were leaving her pack alone to deal with the Sentinel. She could always catch up with them later to gather information, preferably before Aithne decided which one she'd be dragging off for the night.

Dipping her head slightly while maintaining eye contact with her people's leader, Enid then darted her gaze to the right of the Sentinel's countenance before nodding once. That was the signal that all was not as it seemed. Enid knew that he would want to discuss the details with her later, in private, for there were some things that outsiders should never know about the Rowan Caverns and those who had made them home. "The kumo has been taken care of," she calmly stated, "This 'vari was instrumental in the hunt. We are grateful that you permitted him entrance into the tunnels."

She stepped back, allowing Kiel to be closer to the Sentinel as both her hands raised to hover before her chest. Turned so her palms were facing outward, the top of Enid's fingers were barely touching. She bowed slightly, at last lowering her gaze submissively. "We wish for the kill to be his."

#26 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

“Wah!Dude, like, dude. Man, wait, that's not true, you know? I totally got stuck to a wall and stuff.” The toe of his boot scuffed the tunnel floor and his friendly smile turned rueful. “Like, you know, I was totally awesome. As the bait, hahahahahaha.”

Man, they so hadn't needed his help. Or any outside help, for that matter, not with these weird foxy dudes running around. Which kinda made him wonder why the sign had gone up in the first place, you know? Like, "oh, hi, we need you - wait, no, we changed our minds". Still, like, whatever, man, you know? He'd come on a whim, so he hadn't had any expectations or anything, and it wasn't like he'd been in it for the glory anyhow. He got a cool story out of it, right?

“You don't gotta give me anything, man, I didn't do it for the reward, you know?” He would have taken it, just 'cause he was a 'Vari after all, but, like, not when he hadn't done anything, you know? “Except, like, you gotta call your first-born after me, hahahahahaha.”

The Sentinel either didn't have a sense of humour, or didn't get that Kiel was joking, or both, 'cause, like, he just looked at him. Total blank face, man. Ew, like, that was kinda creepy, man.

“Or, you know, point me in the direction of 'out'?”

That got the dude's attention.

“This way.” He gestured for Kiel to follow him. “Enid, meet me in an hour, please, my office.”

Kiel turned to walk backwards a little ways, looking at Enid and then down the tunnel in search of her buddies. “Like, thanks, man. YOu know, for, like, not letting the giant spider eat me or something, hahahaha. But, like, tell that dude, you know, grabbing dudes out of nowhere? Totally creepy, man.”

Giggling to himself, Kiel turned right way around as the Sentinel fell into step beside him.

“Like, dude. You know you could make a fortune opening this place up for tours and stuff?” The dude never answered, but from the look on his face, Kiel figured that was a big fat 'no', and that "forget you ever saw the inside" was stamped right on top.

It was only when he was standing outside the main tunnel entrance, with moonlight bright enough to make it seem like day shining down on the clearing, that Kiel thought of something. “Like, dude. How the heck am I meant to get home?”

(( I believe the thread's finished, unless you want to wrap up, Colleen. <3 Thank you so much for playing the NPCs! ))

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic