Elysian Fields: Summer Camp 2008 - Elysian Fields

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Summer Camp 2008 Challenge #4 in progress // Ends July 12th @ midnight Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Spend some time developing your characters this summer by taking part in Summer Camp 2008, a series of challenges designed to flesh out your character's background and history with an eye for art, stories and themed roleplay.

For each task you complete, you'll earn points that will be added up at the end to net you some goodies and a chance to win the title as the 2008 Summer Camp Champion! The amount of points you earn will vary according to the type of challenge you've completed, the effort you've made, and a bunch of other stuff related to the challenge itself (for instance, putting your short story through a spellchecker will net you more points than if it's riddled with mistakes).

At the end of the final challenge, all your points will be added up into a total and depending on how many points you have, you'll be awarded a grand prize ranging from a simple avatar to a special item!

The character with the most points will also receive a trophy for their awards page and a special mention in the newsbox. :)

Challenges

Each challenge will last a week. There's no limit on how many times you enter each challenge or even with how many of your characters you participate with because points are awarded on a per-character basis (as opposed to a per-member basis).

For each challenge, you'll receive instructions on what the challenge is, how to enter, and information on the base points you can earn. These base points are not the only way to earn points - we also judge entries on amount of overall effort, how closely the instructions were followed, and how successfully the challenge was completed - but they do give you an idea of the minimum number of points you could earn per challenge. :)

Don't worry if you think you can't enter some challenges because they're in an area you aren't good at - you can still enter! These challenges are about rewarding effort more than talent so if you work hard, you won't be penalised for not being able to draw, or write, or whatever. Plus - if you really don't want to enter the art challenges, you can always write more short stories to make up for it, and vice versa. ;)

To enter a challenge, simply follow the instructions for it and then post a direct link to your entry on the Summer Camp thread. :D

Coming Soon!

Keep your eyes open for the first challenge, coming soon to a forum near you! >D

Piper's Boutique ~ Dafont ~ Paper Sweets ~ Aethereality

#2 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

Challenge #1

themed short story: significant past event

The first challenge of Summer Camp 2008 is to write a short story for your character's journal about a significant event in their past. It could be something like a parent's death, a traumatic experience, their first crush - anything that affected them deeply and helped to shape them into who they are now.

To enter, post your story in your character's journal and then post a direct link to it in this thread.

Base Points

For entering: 10pts
500+ words: +10pts
1000+ words: +20pts
Correct SPAG: +5pts

#3 User is offline   Inimicus Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon
  • Group: Retired
  • Inimicus Malus
  • Looks:22
  • Race:Newcomer
  • Profile:View
  • House:Pay a Visit
  • Ini
  • Other Characters:Falaris, Jag

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

RATED 18+ FOR BLOOD GORE AND SEXUAL CONTENT!

Inimicus's attempt at this challenge! 1521 words, Spelling and Grammar checked

http://faroah.com/in...p...ost&p=21745

CREDIT TO PIPER"S BOUTIQUE FOR BOTH AVIE AND SIGNATURE: http://faroah.com/in...?showtopic=1990
Tanz der Vampir Berlin for Picture in Signature

#4 User is offline   Sabrina Icon

• Humble
  • Icon

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:23 AM

http://faroah.com/in...p...ost&p=21749

Here's my entry for Sabrina. 1243 words, no spelling or grammar mistakes. :) I'm good to go.
Posted Image

Hanna Beth: avatar model + Dafont + Piper's Boutique
Fabulous doll by Emms, base from Kawaii Hannah
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Chenoan Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Chen's first entry for this challenge :)

Journaling... Part 1, Feathers -- Words: 462 -- SPAG: Checked
Posted Image
Sig and Av images: Keith Urban ~=~ Brushes: Aethereality

#6 User is offline   Naava Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

Naava's first entry for this challenge

PLEASTE NOTE: THE FOLLOWING POST IS RATED PG-18

Lifelines - A... Learning Experience -- Words: 397 -- SPAG: Checked

#7 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

Woot! So many awesome entries already, I love it. :D Keep 'em coming! <33

Er, but just in case this wasn't clear, I wanted to reiterate that each challenge only lasts a week, meaning that your entries for that challenge need to be posted here in this thread by midnight on the Saturday after it went up. I know, I'm so rotten, aren't I, only giving you a week to enter? *bwahahaha*

So, the deadline for Challenge #1 is midnight on Saturday, the 7th of June the 7th. :)

EDIT because I'm a repetitive moron. ¬_¬

#8 User is offline   Laurel Icon

• A wild threader has appeared!
  • Icon

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

Here's Laurel entry.

A total of 1,214 words, spelling and grammar checked. Rated 18 for language and content. ^^
Model: Julie Westlake
Rodent Shape Shifter
Current Available Forms: Albino ferret kit, albino mouse, albino ferret

#9 User is offline   Destiny Icon

• Remarkable
  • Icon
  • Group: Retired Veteran
  • Destiny Nokomis
  • Looks:21
  • Destiny
  • Other Characters:Dracos, Katah, Skylar, Zara

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

Des' entry 550 word count Spelling is good grammar probably ok...

http://faroah.com/in...p...ost&p=21833

¤ Google ¤Set by Me¤

#10 User is offline   Loranth Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Loranth Tiamati
  • Looks:20
  • gwennie
  • Other Characters:None

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

Loranth's entry - 1951 words XD No rating necessary, spelling and grammar should be good ^^

Evangeline Lily and Piper's Boutique

#11 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

Points Update

We had such wonderful entries for this challenge and I want you all to give yourself a gigantic pat on the back. They were a joy to read and it's been fascinating to gain a deeper insight to all your characters. In addition, we've already surpassed the number of entries that we had for last year's Summer Camp and we haven't even gotten started yet! :D

Here are the scores for this week. >D

40 Chenoan
45 Naava
49 Destiny
51 Inimicus
62 Laurel
64 Sabrina
80 Loranth

Let's see if the current rankings change with this week's challenge! :D

Challenge #2

themed roleplay: training thread

This challenge is about developing your character's skills and abilities, including their racially-granted powers, in a roleplay training thread. It doesn't have to be a combat training exercise - it could be anything from nurturing your garden to negotiating with your dragon - as long as your character actively practises their abilities in some way.

If you want to thread with another PC for this challenge and kill two entry-birds with one stone, feel free (you savages!) but, if you can't find anyone, NPC interaction is fine too. Solo threads are not accepted, however.

To enter, make the thread in any forum of your choosing then post a link to it on this thread. :)

Base Points

For entering: 10pts
Completed thread: +10pts*
Unfinished thread: -5pts*

We'd prefer you to start a new thread specifically for this challenge. However, if you'd rather enter a thread that's already in progress you may - but because it is already in progress and you'd have an advantage from posts already made, you won't be eligible for the extra points granted for completing a roleplay. ;)

#12 User is offline   Sabrina Icon

• Humble
  • Icon

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

http://faroah.com/in...?showtopic=2640

Sabrina's entry for the second challenge. :D Anyone can feel free to join, so we can, in the words of Emma, kill two entrybirds with one stone. XD
Posted Image

Hanna Beth: avatar model + Dafont + Piper's Boutique
Fabulous doll by Emms, base from Kawaii Hannah
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Chenoan Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hey... just wondering.. is there anyways we can see WHY we scored certain things and maybe what the max score we could've gotten was?
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hee, you're the second person to ask. :)

If anyone would like to see their scores, let me know and I'll PM them to you. ^__^ Then if you'd like to share or discuss them with anyone, feel free. :D

#15 User is offline   Inimicus Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon
  • Inimicus Malus
  • Looks:22
  • Ini
  • Other Characters:Falaris, Jag

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I'd like to see mine if you wouldn't mind too much Emma ^_^

CREDIT TO PIPER"S BOUTIQUE FOR BOTH AVIE AND SIGNATURE: http://faroah.com/in...?showtopic=1990
Tanz der Vampir Berlin for Picture in Signature

#16 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:08 AM

It's come to our attention that one or two members had intended to enter ONPC threads, or request ONPC threads, to enter for this challenge. Normally, we do encourage this - that's what the ONPC team is for, after all! XD - but this is a roleplay challenge partially to encourage interaction between members and player characters. I did allow NPCs for the simple fact that I knew not all of you'd be able to find people to roleplay with (and wouldn't have deducted points if you did have to thread with NPCs) but the general idea was for you to rp with other player-characters. I didn't want to give away challenge secrets like this (I like a bit of mystery XD) but in addition to this, we've got some concerns about the fairness of members having the aid of ONPCs for an official challenge when other members participate without that assistance.

I'm sorry I didn't post this sooner, but we were having trouble figuring out the best thing to do. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that we shouldn't accept any ONPC threads for this challenge.

Because of this, I'm extending the deadline another week to give you all chance to start fresh if you need to. By all means finish your ONPC threads! but please don't use them for the challenge. If you're struggling to find rp partners then both Dora and I are more than willing (nay, happy XD) to roleplay our own characters with you. ^__^

So, just to clarify:-

NPCs are fine.
ONPCs shouldn't be used for the purpose of this challenge.
And the new deadline is June 28th!

#17 User is offline   Chenoan Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

http://faroah.com/in...?showtopic=2060
Chen's last ditch effort entry. xP
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Zephyr Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:24 AM

Zeph's last ditch entries

#19 User is offline   Naava Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:26 AM

And Naava's

#20 User is offline   Loranth Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Loranth Tiamati
  • Looks:20
  • gwennie
  • Other Characters:None

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

Loranth's entry ^^ Not getting any points for finishing a thread XD seeing as it's not hers.

Evangeline Lily and Piper's Boutique

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked