Issue #1-3: June-August 2008 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

July's Digest

Your monthly catch-up newsletter brought to you by your uber-friendly admin. :D

That'd be me. XD

Okay, so before we begin, let me introduce you to our new newsletter. It's not the format I'd originally intended, nor is it designed to draw back old members specifically. It's designed to present a month-by-month summary of IC and OOC happenings around EF.

Now. This is really a test run to see how much work needs to go into one of these babies, how well received they're likely to be (so I would greatly appreciate comments), how useful and/or interesting the content is, and so on. Depending on all that, and probably other factors I haven't considered yet, I'm not going to make any promises. :)

That said, a word from our sponsor! :3

Which would also be me. >D

Two Years Old
It's nearly heeeere! EF will be celebrating its second (official) birthday on the 8th of August and we have a bunch of stuff planned to make the event memorable! :wink: Don't even think about missing it! (especially if you're into collecting trophies. :XD: )

Catching Up
  • A new cafe opened in the Underground, replacing the old Cosy with the new Le Bon Cafe and Hotel. :)
  • Dazadi Rhea came down with a cold after rescuing a firefox from the Dusky winter weather. She doesn't seem like the best of patients, but it's her sleeves I feel sorry for!
  • Loranth Tiamati and Zephyr Cairbre had a heated meeting after his owl pooped on her shoulder. :o: Dragon Wars, anyone?
  • Calanthiel Ashelinn has returned from his wandering just in time to find Piper Kin and Sabrina Casius making friends in Le Bon Cafe over lunch. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship. :3
  • And the same Sabrina Casius has summoned Xanth to offer her services as an acolyte. So far, Purple HeadTM seems more interested in playing the Mischief Maker than in taking the summons seriously.
  • Also, there's apparently a moose loose aboot this hoose cafe.
  • Piper Kin was stunned to find Kuma's lieutenant, Sierina Catania, in her shop after the tribe dissolved. She was even more shocked when all the Apalos did was order a print. oO; Could there be peace between these two ex-Kuma girls? Or does Sierina have something up her sleeve?
  • A new pet shop has opened after Suka Matali's disappearance. Animal Magic, run by newcomer Sabrina Casius, may seem plain compared to the Exotic Emporium's elaborate layout but the Nymph is friendly and the animals seem to love her.
  • And what's this?! I see a familiar face! ;D
  • After getting lost in the forest, Sabrina Casius and her new pet lemur, Eva, met injured amnesiac Naava Makani. Already scared, the latter was easily frightened by the overhead circling of a terrifying black dragon, who happened to be none other than Arkadios Rhea trying to decide what to do about his marriage. What will happen to the pair? Find out next week on Tales of the Forest!
  • The hospital has a new intern! Loranth Tiamati, new to the Green Sept, has joined the staff at the hospital ready to undertake her training.
Forum Updates
  • Character Housing has been zapped. It's bigger, it's better, and it allows for more freedom when your character decides where they want to live. :D
  • Two members of staff have retired this July: We say thank you to Dora and Russ for their work on the Admin and ONPC teams respectively. <3 (This also means I'm actively seeking a new writer for the ONPC team. ;))
  • Further staff changes involved an ONPC "upgrade" that allows the team to do much, much more! =D So yes, there really is a moose loose aboot this hoose. XD
  • The new FAQ went up, and it is nummeh (so I advise you read it before I eat it all). =D
  • I've also updated the Portal Nexus description and added a new Transportation section to the website.
  • Elsewhere, there were some big changes that affected a number of groups, including the Lesser Gods, Governors and Guilds.
  • I began downsizing the forums to remove inactive areas and better utilise the boards we have. This project is ongoing and may see a few zig-zags before I've settled on something that works best, but not to worry. :) It's not like you need to know where you're going or anything! XD
  • Activity rules changed with members now able to temporarily or permanently retire their characters if the Muse takes them. :)
  • And in Contest news, this year's Summer Camp went swimmingly and we had a lot of really awesome entries. :proud: It was neck and neck for a while there but Russ took the lead right at the end and earned himself a spiffeh new trophy. The prize shop is still open for anyone who has points left (which I believe is most of you, actually! ¬_¬) and I'm looking forward to next year's Camp. :cool:
  • In related news, I added a revamped Awards page as a collective trophy case, so now you can see which trophies you have and which you have yet to win! :D No shoving!
The Giggle Squad

There wasn't going to be anything for July's Giggle Squad feature but Russ snuck in with this gem and I had to post it! :XD:

Why Zephyr's So Grumpy
"I GUESS, if you like guys that resemble an often shirtless version of Billy Ray Cyrus, but nurtures his sensitive side by gnawing off the head of a porcupine and using its spikes to brush his long hair."

~ Vicky, comparing Zephyr's prettiness (or lack thereof) to that of Colin Firth.

Question Tiems Nao? :huh:

Borrowing a leaf out of the old Chronicles' pages, I'd like to include an Editorial section in the newsletter. Last time we didn't do too well on question submissions but I take that to mean you all know everything and don't need my help. :XD:

With that in mind, I will only be including the Editorial section if we get questions. I'm not really interested in making up questions every month like we used to (it seems kind of silly, really).

That doesn't mean you can't ask IC questions if you want to, though. :^^:

This has been your regular update, brought to you by the Month of Xanth. I can has hugs nao? :<3:

#2 User is offline   Leeta Icon

• Untested
  • Icon
  • Group: Retired
  • Leeta Framont
  • Looks:18
  • Profile:View
  • Gabbi
  • Other Characters:None

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:45 AM

Wow Emma, this is really neat ^_^. Although it looks like a *lot* of work went into getting this ready! I hope you're not totally exhausted from making this x3.

-sends hugs to you- :3

(gosh, I hope this doesn't count as spam. But you do deserve hugs and you did ask for comments, so here is my indispensable input x3)

#3 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Aw, Gabbi, thank you so much for commenting, and for the hugs! :<3:

It was quite a bit of work but most of it went into figuring out things like presentation, what kind of summaries to include, and things like that, so hopefully future issues won't take so long to run up. ^^;

:<3:

#4 User is offline   Zephyr Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

ykno, i thought i'd posted this before o,o

ANYWAYS. I love it <3 and w00t for getting in on the first giggle squad thing ^^

the ONLY thing i would think about changing is the greek lettering system.... it confuses me ._.

good job emms <3

#5 User is offline   Loranth Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Loranth Tiamati
  • Looks:20
  • Race:Newcomer
  • gwennie

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

I think it's a wonderful start to something Emma :D *highfives*

I would think the Greek lettering system ties in with where the term Elysian Fields comes from? :huh:

Evangeline Lily and Piper's Boutique

#6 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:34 PM

Pretend the date on this post is like... a fortnight ago, k? :la:

Russ & Gwennie: Yep, I liked the idea of having a Greek lettering system for the same reasons Gweenie mentioned (the fact that we get our name from the Greek heaven), not to mention that at least two of the species have their foundings in that Ancient Greek kind of *waves vaguely* doodad.

I didn't think it would be too confusing, though, because the list isn't a numbered one. There's no special order or anything, it's just... this happened and that happened. I guess, really, the Greek letters are more decorational than functional in this case. :^^:

Let me know if it does get too confusing, though? I mean, it shouldn't be a problem but that's why this is a test run (and likely to be a test run for the next couple of months, at least. :XD:)

#7 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

August Digest

Previous MonthsPlease leave a comment to let me know you've read this!

Catching Up
  • Daoine Sidheanta returned to Elysia to find the home she had shared with Zephyr Cairbre empty.

• Not long after its opening, Animal Magic closed.

• Loranth Tiamati ended her meeting with Zephyr Cairbre after cleaning up in his bathroom.

• Daoine stopped by Le Bon Cafe and met Kioni Levenworth there.

• Isabel Armitage takes a trip to the same cafe for a danish. Her meal was interrupted briefly by Loranth Tiamati in search of coffee. Unfortunately, Lora had forgotten her wallet and had to leave in a hurry.

• A new ONPC-managed family-run business opened up called Wainwright Traders & Co. The Wainwright brothers call themselves traders and will buy, and sell, pretty much anything.

• The Xanth Day festival went down a treat, with a pirate-themed and a Chocolate Faroah hunt. Congratulations went to Loranth Tiamati for winning the Costume Parade!

• The same Loranth was forced to realise she has a lot to learn when she was asked to heal a bear cub at the hospital.

• Reese O'Hara and Isabel Armitage paid a visit to one of Earth's Seven Wonders. I bet those pyramids look spectacular at night. :D

• Naughty Faroah has been hopping about the marketplace, first finding treasure in a rubbish bin outside the butcher shop and now apparently looking for more in Zephyr Cairbre's smithy. Isabel Armitage's arrival there might put a stop to his thieving, though.

• Naava Makani spilled the beans (or her possessions, at least) near the fountain. Luckily for her, Alice Roch and Danube Lourmel were willing to help.

• Piper Kin and Calanthiel Ashelinn were joined by Loranth Tiamati on their trip to Danurai.

• Naava Makani and Kioni Levenworth stumbled across each other again on their travels to Lake Cora.

• Calanthiel Ashelinn managed to find a place to stay while enjoying his meal with Piper Kin at Le Bon Cafe.

• And lastly, an overwhelmed Dazadi Rhea attacked Piper Kin when the Vampiress interrupted her nap on the kitchen table. Shockingly, the Aide went on to vent about her lifemate's disappearance after apparently deciding not to kill Piper. Can the pair ever be friends?
Updates
  • I want to say a warm welcome to our new members this month: Amber, Dinique, Berry and Amanda, as well as returnee AmberRose! <3

• Do you have unspent prize points? If so, you may be happy to note that the Summer Camp Prize Shop is now available year-round and there'll be lots of opportunities in the future to earn even more prize points towards a better prize. ^^

• I updated the FAQ this month to answer common questions about use of HTML and CSS in posts. I also added a HTML Help thread. Between them, most of your questions should be answered.

• There are three new advertisements for EF to bring in the new year. I've also added some new affiliates and got us listed at several new topsites this month but I need your help - make sure you vote every day! We've already reached the #1 spot on RP Guilds and have made it from page 2 to the bottom of page 1 on Rendezvous just from your votes this month. <3

• I added the Quotermaster to the newsbox and added all the quotes you've suggested so far along with a few "Did you know" tips for using oblique settings on the board. It's not going to be as cool as I wanted if you guys don't post quotes for me to put up though. ;)

• I made some changes to the forum index, updated the descriptions and removed a couple of subforums.

• August has been Layout Month, it seems! I've made a new skin called Shadow Warrior, two new sets of emoticons (Xanth:Revamped and Faroah), revamped the level icons and a few other images here and there (including a number of trophies), and I've given member profiles an overhaul!

• I updated the Character Census and the Employment Agency. Speaking of jobs, don't forget to claim yours for September!

• There are two new OOC contests this month, Trivia Test #7, which is themed on the Xanth Day festival, and a botany special Design a Creature Contest.

• Congratulations go to AmberRose (Reese)! She was nominated for the Funniest Member of the Moment award and awarded the FMOM trophy.

The Giggle Squad

Isabel: I can't seem to catch anybody online... >_>
Emma: You need a bigger net :D

Submit a Quote!

#8 User is offline   Naava Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

XD awesome emms! Only one Problem, Kioni didn't talk to Naava in the EU, Alice did >.> -fleeeee-

ANYWAYS. <3 XD

#9 User is offline   Kioni Icon

• Untested
  • Icon
  • Kioni Levenworth
  • Looks:18
  • Dinique

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

View PostNaava, on Sep 3 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

XD awesome emms! Only one Problem, Kioni didn't talk to Naava in the EU, Alice did >.> -fleeeee-

ANYWAYS. <3 XD

*nods* I knew something was off!

All in all, it's a nice thing here.

#10 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:22 AM

<_<

I can't read! :o

Fixed. XD

#11 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

*pokes everyone else*

#12 User is offline   Calanthiel Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Calanthiel Ashelinn
  • Shop:Buy Something
  • Evie

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

Er, sorry. Goodness. I didn't see that note at all. I read this ages ago. ^^;

Thank you for the doll, Emma!

#13 User is offline   Danube Icon

• Newcomer
  • Icon
  • Danube Lourmel
  • Looks:19
  • Berry

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

Sorry I'd read it but didn't notice until now that I was supposed to reply.

#14 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hee, that's okay. ^^ I'll remember to make it more visible next time. I'm just trying to gauge how useful the Digest is and I can't do that if I don't know who's read it. XD

Thanks for posting, guys. :)

#15 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Just read it... I didn't see anything though... XD about the need to post... XD rather I overlooked it! :P saw it now.. heehee (my net is almost finished >D )
Posted Image
Posted Image
.:: Charlotte Kemp Muhl :: kime-stock :: Princess-of-Shadows :: Manfred Klein :: Emma ::.
.:: Full credits are in my Journal ::.

#16 User is offline   Loranth Icon

• Humble
  • Icon
  • Loranth Tiamati
  • gwennie

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Oi I didn't see it until today either! : /

But it looks loverly :D

Evangeline Lily and Piper's Boutique

#17 User is offline   Reese Icon

• Untested
  • Icon
  • Reese O'Hara
  • Looks:19
  • AmberRose
  • Other Characters:Alieh, Niles, Eilidh and Gene

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

I read it ages ago too, but I'm among the crowd that didn't see we had to reply (:

Images of Syd Barrett & George Harrison

#18 User is offline   Xanth Icon

• The Creator
  • Icon

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

September Digest Please leave a comment to let me know you've read this month's Digest!
Previous MonthsCatching Up
  • Dazadi Rhea and Piper Kin shared a hug after commisserating over their abandonment by Wolf and Arkadios Rhea.
  • Ocmonic Loeflain stirred up trouble in the Rowan Caverns by moving all the signs.
  • After a nice chat and arranging to meet up again, Piper Kin and Calanthiel Ashelinn left the cafe.
  • Isabel Armitage and Reese O'Hara continued their trip to the pyramids as the sun set.
  • Xanth babysat for a frazzled young mother, meeting Danube Lourmel and Amlai Henneth as a result.
  • Eivyonydd returned after a long absence, injured and desperate for help. Yup, it's the start of a new officially sanctioned plot! :D
  • Piper Kin and Calanthiel Ashelinn had a bit of a fright when another traveller, Loranth Tiamati on a return visit, joined them on the road.
  • The same Piper Kin smashed into unlucky patron Aluscielle Velouet in Le Bon Cafe when a hungry Fawn attempted to steal the Vampire's meal.
  • Amnesiac Naava Makani finally made it out of the forest!
  • Chrysanthos Vange and Satriscan Zruska had a friendly meeting of minds in the cafe.
  • Naava Makani and Kioni Levenworth's hapless trip to Lake Cora was interrupted by well-meaning Nymph Isis who was concerned about the encroaching darkness.
  • The chaos in Zephyr Cairbre's Dragon Scales Smithing continued as Faroah attempted to get into a display cabinet while Isabel struggled to defend him.
  • Naava Makani's klutzy encounter with Danube Lourmel and Alice Roch caused her to wonder if she was an artist before she lost her memory.
  • A new pet store, The New Alexandria Sanctuary for Pets and Wildlife, began setting up shop ready for a grand opening soon.
  • Exodina Mirel was a bit miffed when Jaxith Ares copied her order in Le Bon Cafe.
Updates
  • Say hello to my little friend! Several actually, as we had a lovely boom in new members this month, as well as a couple of returnees! *waves at Beanie, Zach, Skyla, Lena, Vicky and Mary*
  • Usershops have reopened to new stores with a few rule changes and the first has already gone up!
  • We have a new moderator, Russ. ^^
  • The humanoid Dragons have been renamed. Meet the Dracovari!
  • The racial information for the Dracovari has been updated.
  • I also updated the karma information.
  • Faroah was nominated for the Funniest Post of the Moment award by Russ.
  • I've posted an ongoing todo list / changelog / development blog so you can see my progress on the rewrite.
  • The original geography webpage (including information on the portal nexus and transport in Elysia) has moved to here.
  • I've put up a new geography portal on the website. The first page is all about Elysia!
  • I ran a new Trivia Test throughout September. Answers were posted on the 4th of October.
  • I also ran a new Design a Creature Plant contest. We got a ton of entries, so pat yourselves on the back for that, and go congratulate Evie for her winning entry, the Chiolen tree!
Editorial

Russ: Which is better, pink or zebras?
Emma: Pink, of course! Although there's something to be said for pink zebras, so... What was the question again?

Ask a Question

#19 User is offline   Zephyr Icon

• Lore Master
  • Icon

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

Readed itz :D

#20 User is offline   Sabrina Icon

• Humble
  • Icon

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

This is the first digest I've been here to read, as well as just reading the others ones, so I'll say something.

I love it Ems >O It's a great thing for stalking everybody's characters catching up! And the layout is like... GIRLY. :D Yes, I love it. Well done, girl!
Posted Image

Hanna Beth: avatar model + Dafont + Piper's Boutique
Fabulous doll by Emms, base from Kawaii Hannah
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic