• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paper Trail The Ark

#1 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• A wild threader has appeared!
  • Icon

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

PB · DaFont · Aethereality · rcr · Obsidian Dawn· Beyond Tonight · Dreams Time

Finding her way around the city wasn't too hard, but Euphenia owed a great deal of that to her much abused map. The poor thing looked as if it had been through the wash twice over. She had not needed to stop and explain to anyone, yet, that such was due to snow exposure during her visit to Xanth's Grotto, but she was well prepared to do so if anyone insulted the faithful sheet of paper. Squinting, she could just make out the half faded print labeling "The Ark" as supposedly being a mere walk across the street. She certainly hoped so, as she'd passed a food cart a few streets back, and it had reminded her of breakfast. Maybe if the owner of The Ark was receptive towards her, Phen would have time to swing back and get something to eat before returning to Haven.

-------------------- ~+~ --------------------

The pushing open of The Ark's door was accompanied by the sound of folding paper, as Euphenia wasn't going to risk damaging her map any more than she had to. Tucking the neatly folded guide to her new life in a coat pocket, Phen took a good look around. She decided that she liked the place at once. It was warm and open, despite the flurry of displays crammed along the walls. Every potential pet seemed content, and she couldn't make out any of the tell-tale signs of neglect she'd read so much about. Admiring the tiles with the different animal patterns, as well as the selection of creatures big and small, the winged nymph pulled down the hood of her gray wool coat and tucked wisps of pale blond hair behind her delicate little ears. She resembled a porcelain doll bundled up by an overprotective child. Phen even had the flushed cheeks and bright eyes, the latter's twilight colors seeming to swirl in her excitement at finding what she sought.

"Pardon me, is anyone there?" she called to no one in particular, her usually soft voice maintaining its musical lilt despite having to be raised. She must have come at a time when whomever The Ark's owner left in charge was getting something from the back of the store. At least, she hoped that was the case. They wouldn't leave all of the animals unattended, would they?

#2 User is offline   Lani Icon

• Humble
  • Icon

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Lani was running around the backroom, doing ten or twelve things at once, as was in her nature. There was just so much to do! She didnt want any of the animals to suffer, but she also wanted to spend time with the animals in her animal forms so that they could be more friendly, and then there was the individual diets of the animals, all of which where kept in a log book behind the counter, and then she had to update it everytime they sold an animal, and it was almost enough to make her pull her hair out! Groaning, she reminded herself to update the medical records of the animals in the file cabinets in the back- those hadnt been done in awhile which mean that the veterenarian was going to have to make a visit shortly.

Getting into a crouching position, she managed to wrestle a tired Zev to the ground and clean up his bandages, earning herself a bite on the knuckles and a growl as her thanks. Rolling her eyes as he sulked away, Frightful seemed to be watching with as much amusement as a falcon could; before swooping out of the room and landing ontop of a cage, no doubt glaring at whatever customer who had just entered the store. "Hello Miss! I'm Lani, owner and sore emplyee of The Ark!" Then, noticing the paper in the girls hands, she grinned. Oh, the advertising was working well to get customers into the shop! Now, if only the signs up everywhere offering to hire did the same!

In fact, there was one right behind her, that stated proudly on a faded yellow piece of parchment in bright green ink that a general help position was available, payment issued based on work quality, apply within, all applicants given a chance. Pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, she asked: "How may I help you?"
Posted Image
wolf - Katherine Moennig

notes:
-if anyone wants me to edit a post, tell me and I will. (Applys to all posts)

#3 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

A shriek of surprise and terror fought against Euphenia's common sense and lost, the feelings that influenced the battle huddling in the back of the nyad's mind to gibber at one another. A mask of calm resolve settled over the winged nymph's darling features, and she slightly dipped her head in a gesture of respect for the bird of prey that had caught her off-guard. She knew not to show fear in the presence of a hunter, thus no matter how startled she might have been, her survivor's instinct and reinforced paranoia had settled her nerves. "It is an honor to be so near to one of the mighty hunters of the air," Phen murmured in a silvery tone pitched to be as soothing as possible, "Be you the master of this territory?"

Euphenia's wings tucked in tighter against her back when a woman came into view. Straightening, she leveled a smile at the proclaimed "owner and sole employee", diverting her focal attention to be right between the other woman's eyes as she had been taught, though she kept the falcon within the field of her peripheral vision. Manners dictated that she offer Lani her hand, and she did so without reserve, mostly because she appreciated the openness of the shop owner's greeting. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lani. I'm Euphenia, but most call me Phen. Please feel free to do so."

Trying not to get nervous, though the feeling of butterflies in her stomach proved that such efforts were long overdue, Phen glanced at the sign behind Lani and then back. "I came upon your notice seeking an 'animal lover with flexible schedule willing to clean', and I fit all three requirements," she began, lightly resting the fingertips of her free hand upon the edge of the counter, "I volunteer at Haven, an animal shelter you may have heard of, and I am a part-time dancer at The Birdcage. Before that I fostered and cared for animals found near Lake Bethesda for several years. I have some understanding of the methods of training, and wish to learn more. Also, I only dance on Thursday afternoons at The Birdcage, so the rest of my schedule is essentially open."

She had to breathe sometime, so she paused to do so. There was also the necessity of allowing Lani to get a word in edgewise, else Phen would seem to be talking just to work out her worries. Not that she was. Oh no, never that.

(( Why did she mention The Birdcage as an example? Because The Birdcage started out as a sanctuary for homeless and abused birds, and it remains true to its roots. Every dancer there learns how to take care of and work with the birds, especially since so many of them perform alongside "avian artists", or as the dancers of The Birdcage call them, "feathered friends". ))

#4 User is offline   Lani Icon

• Humble
  • Icon

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Lani found it a bit suspicious that a perfect cantidate had pretty much fallen from the sky, but she wasnt one to look a gift-horse in the mouth. Listening to the impressive credentials the girl was spewing, she couldnt hellbut think that the girl was a little overqualified for the job position that she was requesting. Euphenia was a sweet girl, if not a nervous one.

She herself had never visited Haven, but had heard that it was a lovely, well run place, and she took it as an excellent job source. Thursdays where hunting days with Frightful and Zev anyways. "Well Eu- Phen. You have a mighty impressive list of credentials there, and so long as your willing to accept merchandise -she vaguely waved her hand around the shop- insted of monetary payment, then I'd love to have you on board." Seeing that the girl looked like she might accept, she continued:

"Your job would entail of cleaning cages, and keeping the animals records up to date. Spending time with them for atleast half an hour a day is a requirement as well, even if its just having one of the kittens sit on your lap while you do paperwork. Thursdays off are fine with me, so long as you can extend one of your other days. Weekend work is considered overtime and you will be given bonuses and payment in accordance to your work." Leaning forward, she held out a hand and said: "Do we have a deal?"
Posted Image
wolf - Katherine Moennig

notes:
-if anyone wants me to edit a post, tell me and I will. (Applys to all posts)

#5 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Phen had lowered her hand, as Lani hadn't gone for it right away, then listened attentively. She flushed faintly with pleasure when told that her credentials were impressive. The winged nyad was proud of having been accepted at The Birdcage, and the folk of Haven had been so kind to her that to endorse them was a surefire way to win the nymph's good graces. She wasn't sure if Lani knew precisely where Phen meant when she spoke of Lake Bethesda, but she was glad to hope that someone interested in animals, especially the exotic sort, would be at least moderately familiar with geography.

She considered the duties that Lani had listed, and nodded once, though she kept both hands on the countertop when Lani offered hers. Phen smiled, hoping that would lessen the potential rudeness of her actions. "So far, I am happy with your terms. However, I do have some questions before we come to an agreement," she explained, trying to sort through her mother's advice swimming inside her brain, "To begin, what time would you expect me in each day, and what time would I be leaving? Would there be scheduled breaks, or would I be taking those when there was a lull in the work day? Will I have a set schedule, or would I need to check with you at the beginning of each week?"

Pausing for both breath and thought, Phen then added, "Thus far, it seems as though you would need me to come in every week day with the generous exception of Thursdays. Is there a day of the week that you would prefer I extend to make up for having Thursdays off, or should we keep that 'floating', so to speak?"

She never thought that she'd be thanking Xanth for one of her mother's more lengthy grillings, but she was. Without Enyo sitting her down and telling her daughter what to expect from a prospective employer, Phen would have agreed to just about any arrangement as long as it guaranteed her being able to work with animals.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic