Elysian Fields: The Calm Before the Storm [FIN] - Elysian Fields

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Calm Before the Storm [FIN] continued from "And So It Begins" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Isabel allowed herself to be lead to the cafe, her arm around... Bubbles, as the girl would liked to be called; walking as if they were just two girls hanging out but her emotions were in turmoil inside. Not to mention that Bubbled did have a point. It would be dangerous to share her real name out in the open. Just like how it would be dangerous if people would find out what she is.

Breaking her thoughts, Isabel looked towards the girl beside her and spoke softly, nearing a whisper. “What do you think they're planning now... You think they'd really be able to find us again?”

And before Isabel noticed, they were already nearing a quaint little cafe not unlike the Le Bon Cafe but it had a homey feel to it. A good place to relax and unwind. Something she probably wouldn't be able to do anytime soon.

((Sorry for the wait again... I'm just assuming that it's a different cafe and not the Le Bon... but if it is, I'll change it n.n))
Posted Image
Posted Image
.:: Charlotte Kemp Muhl :: kime-stock :: Princess-of-Shadows :: Manfred Klein :: Emma ::.
.:: Full credits are in my Journal ::.

#2 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• A wild threader has appeared!
  • Icon

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

PB · DaFont · Aethereality · rcr · Obsidian Dawn· Beyond Tonight · Dreams Time

(( It's best be a small, out of the way cafe'. Good call, Amber! Posted Image ))

Phen lowered her voice to match Isabel's, though she tried to make it look like they were sharing "girly talk" by pointing at a cute skotadi's rear end as he passed them by. "With people like that, it's more a question as to when. They have the support of a city official, and there's no doubt that the marshal is just itching to get his hands on a scapegoat."

The nyad's mouth twisted into a grimace, one that she swiftly banished for fear of someone getting suspicious, or worse, coming over to ask what was wrong. Forcing a smile, she went to the door of the cafe' and pulled, turning at the last minute to hold it open for Isabel. "After you, Izzy. I wouldn't dream of keeping you from getting warmed up."

"Pick somewhere in the middle," Phen murmured, hopefully before Isabel headed in, "When looking for someone, folk usually check the front and back first. Also, we need to be around people. Not too many, but some. We don't want to stick out like sore thumbs."

#3 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Isabel always wondered how one could keep a cool head during times where a cool head is quite impossible to get.

Smiling a small smile at Bubbles, Isabel passed her and looked for a vacant table in the middle of the small cafe, just as the girl suggested. She saw one near a group of teens giggling away to something or other that Isabel didn't really care to know. While waiting for Bubbles to take a seat, Isabel's mind was split into two things; first, what drink would be good enough to help calm her nerves and second, this was probably the first time she ever thought about her mortality ever since she became a vampire. Imagine that.

She thought about what Bubble's had said. A scapegoat. True, there was no doubt in her mind that the marshal was looking for a scapegoat. With the way he's acting, the first vampire he'd see would be the one on the chopping block. A place she had no desire of experiencing. The problem now was... what to do next. Lay low and wait for everything to die down or take matters into her own hands and look for the killer herself...
Posted Image
Posted Image
.:: Charlotte Kemp Muhl :: kime-stock :: Princess-of-Shadows :: Manfred Klein :: Emma ::.

#4 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

"So," Phen started as she sat down in the chair opposite of Isabel. Apparently the other woman had taken the nyad seriously and chosen a spot that fit Phen's request as exactly as possible. She appreciated that, though it gave her the impression that Isabel was unsure of just what to do in their situation. Phen understood how she felt, since she wasn't well versed on the subject, either. "I believe we have two options."

Sitting up a little straighter, Phen coaxed Sanna to stay coiled up in her hair a little while longer. There was no telling how the cafe's customers would react to an angel snake taking a bath in the decorative fountain by the counter. Speaking of avoiding attention, the nyad had long since tucked her wings in so they could be mistaken for a feathered cloak if someone didn't look too closely, and she'd drawn up the hood of her coat to partly cover her face. Maybe she really ought to look into getting a volumious cloak to cover her wings, like Soren had suggested. She looked like a fledging anyeli, and there weren't many of those to be found in New Alexandria. It marked her as different than the usual citizen, and therefore made her easier to find.

"It also makes folk underestimate me," she thought with an internal grin.

Then again, she had probably been rash, showing off like that. It had only further ingrained her into the minds of those who had been watching. That and marked her as dangerous. Sighing, Phen then continued, completely unaware that what she was about to say would echo Isabel's thoughts. "We can try to solve this ourselves, or we can find places to hide and wait it out."

"Personally, I don't want to hide," she admitted, plucking up a menu from the tabletop and looking it over, "I've done enough of that to last me a lifetime. I also like to be able to sleep at night, and knowing that there will be innocents suffering because I didn't take a stand will award me a whole new set of lovely nightmares."

Phen suddenly pressed a finger to her lips in a "Shhh!" gesture, then smiled at a spritely lady server as she skipped up with a notepad and a pencil balanced in her hands.

"Hello, and welcome to the Twin Cat Cafe'!" the server chirped, her grin wide and showing off plenty of sparkling white teeth, "What can I get you?"

While briefly thinking over how the cafe' was the second business in town that Phen knew of that was run by twins, the nyad contemplated the menu. "I'd like an herbal tea with a splash of lemon and mint, please. Also, I'd like to place an order for a lemon ripple scone."

"Sure thing, honey," the young girl said while writing down Phen's order, then looking over at Isabel with an expectant expression.

(( Order anything you think she'd like, Amber. They have a wide assortment of tea, coffee, and snacks. They even have some deli sandwiches. Posted Image Oh, and they have some "special" drinks as well, with vampires in mind. ))

#5 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Isabel was surprised that they were thinking the same thing. She even had made a decision even before Bubbles voiced out hers. They were interrupted when a waitress came and took their order. After taking Bubbles' order, the waitress looked expectantly at her.

Isabel was starting to get a little hungry; but not for normal food. She was already having the urge to drink THAT but with their current positions, it wasn't a good idea. She'd just have to hold it in a little bit longer until she could get some in The Crypt - the safest place to drink for now. Plus, she didn't want to get discovered and have Bubbles get in trouble much more than they are now.

Giving the waitress a small smile, Isabel gave her order in a somewhat tight voice, “Uh... a glass of... tomato juice, please.” It wasn't the same as what she really wanted, but it just might ease her hunger some...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

"Alright, honey. You girls sit tight, now, and I'll get these for you right away," the waitress said with a pleasant smile before turning around and setting her hips to swishing as she hustled to the main counter of the cafe'. That was a really short skirt she was wearing.

"Are you sure that's all you want?" Phen asked, concern evident in her voice and in her facial expression, "Stella is very nice. She could probably sneak you a snack if you're hungry."

Normally, Phen would offer to pay for anything else Isabel might have wanted, but after purchasing her COM she was more than a little short on funds. Embarassed, Phen placed her hands on her lap. "So, what do you think? We're essentially a team now, so I'd like to have your opinion before we do anything drastic."

#7 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

“Are you sure that's all you want? Stella is very nice. She could probably sneak you a snack if you're hungry.”

Isabel smiled. Probably the first real smile she had since the debacle awhile ago. “I'm fine, thanks. And I'm not really that hungry yet.”

Without anything else left to say or do, Bubbles went right to the point - what they need to do now. Isabel took a deep breath to calm her senses. At this point on, there was no turning back and she trusts Bubbles enough to tell her the truth; she needed to know before she agreed to anything.

“First off, I'd like you to know one thing. I'm probably more involved in this than you think and if you got caught with me, they wouldn't give you a light sentence.” Saying that, Isabel made sure that Bubbles was looking at her and showed her fangs for just a split second; not wanting the other patrons of the cafe to see. Looking away and not wanting to see her reaction just yet, Isabel added, “And truthfully, we're on the same boat. I want this to end as quickly as possible. I wouldn't have been able to stay in one place and wait it out. Specially not when I'm already a target. The best thing I believe, is to be constantly on the move which would make them less likely to find us. I want to solve this and find the real killer.” Normally, Isabel wouldn't just jump at a chance to solve a murder case just for kicks but somehow, this particular case had gone personal what with her life on the line. Looking back at Bubbles, Isabel waited for her reaction...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Phen's paranoia was slightly off that day. It told her to avoid strangers, yet there she was, huddled at a cafe' table with lady she had only met what felt like five minutes before, whispering the start of a plan that had the potential to land them both in prison or worse. Not to mention that she had completely "blown her cover", as her mother would say, by using her Gift to fend off that creep and his musclebound cronie. It was her protective nature that did it. She had heard distress in a mother's voice and she had come running. It hadn't mattered what race the mother and her little one were or what kind of danger they were in, just that Phen reached them in time to do something, anything, to help. It wasn't the first time her maternal instinct had landed her into trouble, and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

Yet when Isabel flashed her fangs, Phen wondered if she had gotten in the kind of trouble that only her mother could get her out of. There was a lightening of the gray in her eyes, the other colors receding till the stormy color was dominant, but otherwise the nyad's face was resolutely calm. "Thank Xanth they didn't see," she murmured, so softly that it was little more than her lips moving.

They must have not seen, for Phen was certain that both men would have not have left without finding a way to take Isabel with them, even if it had meant dragging the vampire as she fought them for every inch. "This changes things, but not in a way we can't handle. I know someone who can give us advice on how to proceed. We'll get to the bottom of this."

She finished just as Stella was returning with their order. Leaning back so she was sitting up in her chair, Phen aimed a bright smile at the waitress. "Thank you, Stella, but would you get us some spoons, please? Oh, and some cloth napkins? I do dislike the paper ones."

"Oh, of course, hon. That's no problem. I'll be right back," Stella promised before sashaying off.

Carefully scooping up her teacup by its handle, Phen blew across the surface of the steaming brown liquid before looking up to mention, "Where is a good place to get a heartier drink? I wouldn't want to get pinned down by any riffraff."

With a tiny smile overtaking the corner of her mouth, Phen winked at Isabel after saying "riffraff", hoping that her companion would understand the meaning behind her question. She was willing to work with the vampire, even trust her so far as to try and take over the murder investigation with her, but she wasn't going to toss in her luck with a hungry vampire. That would be a recipe for disaster!

#9 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Isabel was relieved and at the same time surprised that Bubbles didn't give her any sort of judgment. It was also a good thing that she had found one person to help her out. She didn't really want to jump into this mess any deeper without any form of help. Her relief was quickly followed by embarrassment when Bubbles suddenly asked, “Where is a good place to get a heartier drink? I wouldn't want to get pinned down by any riffraff.”

She didn't think that it would be too obvious. Her stomach even growled a bit at the thought. There was only one safe place that she could go to that wouldn't arouse much suspicion, and that was in The Crypt. Maybe they could drop by real quick and she could grab a bottle or two just to tide her hunger. They also needed to drop by somewhere else before they start investigating. It's always better to be prepared than sorry.

Blushing, Isabel glanced at Bubbles. “We could drop by real quick at the Crypt and I could get a bottle or two. There is one place I'd like to go though before we start investigating. I need a new dagger, and although I don't use it much, I feel safer if I had one in me. Would it be alright if we dropped by a blacksmith's shop first? Well actually, I'd first like to know if there are any other blacksmith's shop around here other than the Dragon Scales Smithing?” Isabel cringed at the mere thought of that shop.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Phen had to restrain herself from thrusting a hand forward to clap it over Isabel's mouth when her companion named the place where they could go. Nothing screamed "VAMPIRE!" louder than The Crypt. Even Euphenia had heard of it, for Xanth's sake! Yet in so doing Phen might have drawn more attention to them than Isabel's slip had.

Groaning inside her head, the nyad instead tucked her wings closer as she nodded slightly while pretending to scratch under her right ear. It seemed that Isabel was more used to being forthright with others, which was a good trait in Phen's book, right up until it might get her or someone she cared about in serious trouble. Getting thrown in jail classifed as serious trouble.

"Certainly," she softly agreed, "As long as we don't linger. We have a busy day ahead."

She wanted to add, "..and that place creeps me out," but chose not to. Not that the thought of visiting The Crypt really "creeped" her out, but she had thought for one moment that maybe if they had acted like "vamp haters" the people around them would dismiss Isabel's mentioning of The Crypt as one zealot ranting to another. It was the realization that such would only further refine their presence in the memories of the cafe'patrons that held her tongue.

How in Xanth's name did her mother keep track of all the relevant factors in a situation like this? Goddess, she wanted to call her so badly right then!

"Would it be alright if we dropped by a blacksmith's shop first? Well actually, I'd first like to know if there are any other blacksmith's shops around here other than Dragon Scales Smithing?"

By noticing Isabel's cringe when she said the name of the shop Kiel worked for, Phen's curiousity got stoked. "I haven't been," she said, sitting up straighter as she saw Stella out of the corner of her eye, "But I hear good things about that shop. isn't the quality of its arms the best in New Alexandria?"

"Hello again, Stella," the nyad greeted the waitress with a smile, "Thank you for the napkins and for the spoons."

Phen waited until Stella had said her pleasantries and was off to help another customer before she addressed Isabel once more. "Shouldn't we get you the best, Izzy?"

#11 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Isabel failed to notice her little mishap but continued to ponder where they could find a good place to buy a replacement for her dagger - other than the Dragon Scales Smithing. If she went there now, that homicidal blacksmith would take the opportunity to kill her, specially with the current situation. It had probably given him more of a reason to. Isabel suppressed a shiver at the thought.

“But I hear good things about that shop. isn't the quality of its arms the best in New Alexandria?”

Isabel waited to answer as the waitress returned with their napkins and spoons, sipping her drink slowly. It didn't do much to abate her hunger but it helped, even for a little bit. As soon as the waitress left, her opportunity to answer was lost when Bubbles added, “Shouldn't we get you the best, Izzy?”

She had to admit, it was the best shop if you wanted excellent quality weapons. It just didn't have excellent quality customer service. Yet she couldn't bring herself to answer Bubbles that. She really needed the best weapon right now. Resigning herself to that fact, Isabel sighed and reluctantly agreed.

“I suppose... Alright. It would be better to get the best weapon in any case. I guess we have our next destination?”

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

It was obvious to Phen that Isabel was uncomfortable with the idea of going to Dragon Scales Smithing. Deciding not to pry, the nyad instead stirred her drink in silence as she thought over their options. She didn't know enough about Isabel to categorize the vampire's strengths and weaknesses, so getting the other woman armed in whatever fashion was her preference did seem like the best possible route.

"A friend of mine works there," she explained before taking a sip of her drink. Phen tried not to notice just how quickly Isabel's juice was disappearing. It likely would do them both some good if she ordered the vampire a refill. "If you prefer, I'll be the one to enter the shop and make the purchase on your behalf."

The look she leveled at Isabel in that moment said: "I know you've got a history with that place, but you don't have to explain. Just let me handle it."

"Afterward, we can go and get some supplies," the winged nymph continued with a slight smile, "We won't get far without them."

Phen then went quiet as she set to the task of finishing her scone and tea, in that order.

#13 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

When Bubbles offered to be the one to buy the dagger for her, a huge weight sort of lifted from her shoulders. It was a good compromise; which would also lessen the chance of her getting killed early. When she mentioned a friend however, it came as a bit of a surprise. She never imagined the blacksmith to be someone who would be comfortable to be around other people than himself. Nevertheless, things were in her favor. If the situation was clear, she'd probably take another peak inside.

Isabel breathed a sigh of relief and smiled shyly at Bubbles for noticing her reluctance. “Thank you. That would be a great help.”

And with the mention of other supplies, Isabel looked at her half-full glass of juice and drank it in one breath. Time was of the essence if they wanted to solve this case before other innocent people got involved. She looked towards Bubbles as she was wiping her mouth, “I guess we'd best be on our way if we still a have lot of things to accomplish...”
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

"I don't have the xanthai to pay for it on me at the moment," Phen explained as she finished her snack and beverage, setting the dishes they had been on or in to the side, "So as long as you feel you can trust me, I'll go into the shop and inquire, then come back out and collect what they are asking for the item. Then I will purchase it for you, collect it, and come back out and hand it over to you. Does that sound like a plan?"

She was already scooting her chair back and standing up before Isabel had a chance to respond. The situation they were in had Phen antsy. She didn't want to waste any more time once they had at least a general idea of what they needed to do. Leaving the necessary amount to pay for her portion of what they'd ordered, plus the customary tip, she collected her satchel and headed for the exit of the cafe'. "Thank you, Stella!" she called over her shoulder while waving goodbye to the waitress and all of the other patrons, "It was wonderful, as always!"

Once she got to the doorway, however, Phen waited for Isabel to catch up. That is, if the vampire actually needed to catch up. "If it's alright with you, I'll lead the way."

The angel snake that had been snugly coiled within Phen's hair poked her head out to flick her tongue in Isabel's general direction. She wasn't hungry, and there wasn't any water in the vicinity, so she instead focused on the nearest living being and tasted of the air about them. She must have found something about Isabel that she liked, because soon she was nuzzling the underside of Phen's chin like a cat in catnip induced bliss.

"Ah? Oh, hello to you, too, my Lily," Phen cooed to her pet, and stroked the pearly winged snake's belly. "I haven't introduced you two yet, have I?" she asked absentmindedly as she held open the door for Isabel. "Please remind me to do so before we arrive at the shop."

#15 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Isabel's heart started thumping loudly. This was it. They were actually ready to do something. She both filled with anxiety and excitement at the same time that she couldn't describe what her actual feelings were. When Bubbles shared to her her plan when they reach the smithy, Isabel quietly agreed and just nodded her head. She was already thinking of ways to repay Bubbles for all her kindness and unprejudiced ways once this thing is over.

Quickly leaving the money for her share on the table, Isabel rushed after Bubbles as she reached the door. Just as she reached the it, Bubbles starteed cooing at the curious little snake she saw earlier who was flicking it's toungue at her.

“I haven't introduced you two yet, have I? Please remind me to do so before we arrive at the shop.”

Isabel smiled at Bubbles and gave a little wave at the snake. “I'd love to get to know her though I have to say I haven't seen anything like it. Not on Earth at least...” Looking back towards Bubbles, Isabel gave a small smile and exited the cafe.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Curiosity lit up the depths of Phen's twilight eyes. Were the nyad a cat, she probably would have perked her ears up and forward. "You're from Earth?" she asked before her usual consideration of the privacy of others could fully kick in, "Is it really all that different from Elysia?"

She'd heard of Earth, of course, but always in a mythical sense. It was attributed as the realm that was the foundation from which Elysia was sprung. A place where supposedly humans were the dominant race. How very peculiar!

The sensation of Sanna slithering to be further extended from her nyad to better taste Isabel's scent brought Euphenia back to her offer of introductions. Picking up her pace so she was again walking beside Isabel, Phen smiled when her angel snake's movements became related to just how far Isabel was from Sanna's flicking tongue. Once the vampire was close, Sanna practically had her head nestled on Isabel's shoulder. "This is my lovely lily, Sanna. She's an angel snake, and they aren't a common sight in the city. Since I received her on Xanthmas, I've done quite a bit of research on the species. Farmers often have colonies of them moved to live on their farms, because they eat a great deal of the bugs that would otherwise munch on the farmers' crops, as well as snails."

"But you need not hear me prattle," Phen amended, her cheeks starting to darken with her telltale blush. Goodness, when did she become such a chatterbox? "Anyway, the shop isn't too far of a walk. Let's go."

-------------------- ~+~ --------------------

"See? That wasn't so bad," the winged nymph decided as Dragon Scales Smithing finally came into view. They'd traveled by foot for the better part of forty minutes to get there, and Euphenia felt invigorated. There was nothing quite like a nice walk to improve circulation!

It wasn't until they got fairly close to the shop's door did she look over to Isabel and ask, "Should we do the exchange now, or do you want me to go in and price things first?"

(( I hope you don't mind me having sped that up a little, Amber. I can change things if need be. Posted Image ))

#17 User is offline   Isabel Icon

• Exceptional
  • Icon

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Isabel smiled as Bubbles showed interest where she came from. It was very rare to meet people who think of Earth as something unusual as oppsed to something so mundane. As Bubbles introduced her angel snake, Sanna, the little one placed her head on Isabel's shoulder. It was very adorable once she got used to it and lightly petted Sanna's head. It made her think about her imps at home who caused much more trouble than a group of little kids high on sugar.

“Anyway, the shop isn't too far of a walk. Let's go.”

----------------

It wasn't long before they reached the shop and Isabel felt a sudden trepidation upon seeing it's sign. It got her really nervous but still, she pressed on. It wouldn't do her good do be afraid all the time.

“Should we do the exchange now, or do you want me to go in and price things first?”

“No, I think I could do this. I'll go in but...um, is it alright if you could go in with me?”
Posted Image
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1