• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Following Shadows [FIN] continued from "To Fetch a Dagger" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• A wild threader has appeared!
  • Icon

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

PB · DaFont · Aethereality · rcr · Obsidian Dawn· Beyond Tonight · Dreams Time

"I don't know what I'm doing," Phen said for the upteenth time since she first called her mother.

The winged nymph and her best friend, the dracovari better known as Kiel, were heading out of town. Oh, it wasn't to be a permanent "Let's get out of here!" sort of arrangement, no matter how fast Phen's heart throbbed at the thought of being locked in a cage. She knew enough about New Alexandrian law to realize that interfering with an investigation sanctioned by the marshal was bad news. With the marshal nursing his hate like he was, bad might be turned into worse.

"Any help will be appreciated. So, do you have any ideas?" Phen didn't tag her customary "mother" to her question, but only because she didn't want to risk someone overhearing her conversation. Let the world think that she was parentless while the crisis was going on. It would give them less people to use against her.

Then came the waiting game. Phen glanced up at her taller companion and gave him a slight nod with a smile to indicate that she thought things were going postively. In truth, she had no idea what her mother was going to do. Enyo was the type who was especially quiet when she was thinking, and from the utter lack of sound on the other end of the COM, she must have been thinking hard. That and she had a high quality COM. There was no static whatsoever.

"Find the scene of the crime," came through so clear that Phen felt like her mother was right there, but talking directly into her ear, "Check it during the day and at night. Things are different in darkness than they are in broad daylight. Get opinions from those you trust, and trust very few. Stay low. Don't go to the authorities unless you have hard proof, and even then, do not go to the marshal. Find someone above him."

"I don't think ..."

"There is always someone above them."

Her mother had cut her off. Warning bells rang in Phen's head. Enyo only did that when she was angry enough to start launching daggers into random targets. Thankfully, those targets were usually inanimate, but the intensity in which she threw them never failed to be awe/fear inspiring.

"I'll check."

"Good. To catch a killer you have to think like one. That is beyond you. You will need someone who has tasted death."

"I think we've got that handled," Phen commented with a side glance to Kiel. If a vampire wasn't a good example of someone who had "tasted death", then who was? They had Isabel, that was going to have to be good enough. Maybe Shane would count, too? The shadowkin was a hunter, wasn't she?

Then there was a slight catch to her mother's voice, as if she didn't want to say what came next. "I will be out on business for the next three months, so I cannot monitor this for you. You will be on your own."

Dread trickled into Phen's stomach like molten lead into a mold. "Alright. Thank you for letting me know."

A pause, and then, "May the Lady of Masks watch over you."

The line went dead.

Expelling a built up breath, Phen pressed a finger to her COM's touch screen to fully disconnect the line and tried to look cheerful. "We've got a directive. How do you feel about playing guardsman?"

#2 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Hawt, hawt, hawt! :D
  • Icon

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

"Wah! Big fat meanie head, I only wanted a hug! Wah!"

Like, maybe that was why Zeph hadn't objected when Kiel said he was taking the rest of the day off, or maybe it was just 'cause the dude was poking his ear drums out with all that hammering. It wasn't like it was anything unusual, you know? Every so often he'd go in the back to pester his boss, usually when it was totally quiet out front, and depending on the dude's mood would be kicked right back out with a "stop free-loading" or "get back to work, I'm busy" right away or within seconds. Sometimes he could stretch it to minutes if Zeph wasn't totally engrossed in his work, but it wasn't so much the time back there that he wanted, just the interaction, you know?

So he hadn't been offended at all when the dude slammed the door in his face, just scratched behind Shane's ears where she lurked behind the counter out of reach of the sun, and got back to work. But then Phenny and Isabel had come in and Kiel kinda got the idea it was a good thing his boss was too busy (and anti-social) to meet his friend. Like, they'd said some stuff that he wasn't sure how to digest 'cause it totally went against everything he thought he knew about his boyfriend, but he didn't have time to confront the dude. Like, well, he did, but he'd decided to help out 'cause he totally couldn't let his best friend and her new friend leave knowing they were in trouble, so he'd kinda sorta just tucked the bad stuff away for later.

“So you're saying that you didn't see anything? Hear anything? That's, like, so lame, man.”

Standing on the corner of the street only a few feet from where the Marshal's wife was supposedly killed, Kiel eyed the dude he was talking to like he could tell if the guy was lying. They'd been at this for, like, ever, and so far he'd come up with squat. It wasn't even like this was a bad neighbourhood, but people on the streets seemed antsy, paranoid even, like they were terrified that speaking out would get them killed or something totally lame like that.

“This dude, the Marshal guy,” Kiel lamented to no one in particular, though several people looked at him as if he was about to spontaneously combust. “He's totally a pain the butt, you know?”

And turning to Phenny, who'd been doing the same thing as him a few feet away since that phone call to her mom, he tacked on, “Like, tell me you're having better luck than me, man, for sers.” It was cool, her mom helping out and all, but it seemed like the Skotadi had never tried quizzing reluctant witnesses before. Or, like, maybe she just threatened them until they threw up everything they knew... “Maybe we should be all, like, "rawr, I'll kill you". Think that'd work?” He even reached for his katana.

((I skipped a little bit further ahead. I hope that's okay. ^^))

#3 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

(( That's peachy keen, Ems. Posted Image ))

Phen had originally given Kiel a shake of her head when he'd asked if she'd come up with anything tangible, but when he mentioned resorting to death threats to get what they needed, her twilight eyes widened to saucers. Taking a deep breath to stay calm, the nyad forced herself to relax and made a polite excuse to leave the conversation she'd been holding with a older therian gentleman. Then she was faced with the challenge to walk, not run, to Kiel and make sure that he didn't whip out his katana.

"No need for that," she called as she tried to calmly walk over, "These folk are nervous enough already."

When she got close enough to Kiel that she could whisper, Phen met her friend's eyes and smiled reassuringly. Then she waved to some of the girls she'd spoken to earlier. One of the four waved back. "Let's not cause a riot," Phen murmured.

Sidling close enough that her action might be construed as someone cuddling up to her boyfriend, Phen's arm sought to wind around Kiel's waist to set her hand atop his. "We can't call out to one another across the street like that, Kiel. Not unless it's an emergency," she softly reminded him, patting at his hand once for emphasis.

"Anyway, I've been thinking that we need to examine the details of the scene itself," she continued, staying put because it was the only way she figured her whispering wouldn't draw too much attention. "Any ideas on how we can get a good look without making ourselves look suspicious?"

#4 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

“Aww,” Kiel pouted, sticking his tongue out at the guy who'd been refusing to answer his questions - but who was so obviously lying about it even Kiel could tell. Like, he so didn't have the patience for this, man. “It works for Zeph.”

She was totally right, though, you know, and as he felt her arm slide around his back to land on the hand he had hovering the hilt of his sword, he let his shoulders slump like he'd been chastised. “So lame, so lame.” It wasn't like he wanted to cause trouble, though, he was just bored - already! - with the whole question/no-answer thing, you know?

“We can't call out to one another across the street like that, Kiel.”

“Oh. Like. Yeah.” Pause to smile sideways, ever so bashfully, at her. “Sorry, man. I totally didn't say your name, though, you know?”

To keep up the pretence she'd started, Kiel totally slapped his hand to her shoulder and settled his arm across her back like he was hugging her to him. He'd totally do it anyway, pretence or no pretence, since she was totally his best friend, but he figured it'd look kinda weird if she was being all clingy by herself, you know?

“I dunno, I dunno. Like, can't we just be all, like, nosy tourist-y? Maybe I shoulda brought Shane after all, she'd totally be an awesome distraction, you know? Or hahahaha, like, I could totally have been the distraction so she could sniff stuff up. Hey, hey, it's that way, right? C'mon, c'mon.” And he shot off across the street again, only coming to a halt when he thought he was looking at the right spot, then did his best to look like a nosy tourist as he began muttering without even checking if Phenny had followed.

“Dark alley at night, man, the light's missing.” He pointed up at the oil lamp that should have hung over the alley entrance, where the glass casing was missing. Like, assuming it hadn't been taken as evidence (and he couldn't think why it would be taken as evidence), it would have been a great spot to ambush somebody. He only knew 'cause he'd pulled a few evening shifts for Marty and 'cause some parts of the city were way creepy where lamps were broken or stolen or something.

“She was walking by here, right, that's what the papers said, right? He could totally have been lurking -” He set his hands up like claws and hissed a bit, like they needed any more drama to make this real. “- down there waiting for her.” Like most alleyways in Alexshire, this was a gap in the rows of houses connecting one street to the next over. This wasn't a rough neighbourhood, which was, like, part of the reason he figured people had been so shocked, and there were a couple of Anyeli kids playing race-'em chase-'em with a rock fox. Like, Kiel was pretty sure it was a rock fox. He'd never actually seen one, but that sure looked like the rock fox in Tad's book...

“But, like, maybe it wasn't even her he was after, maybe he was just, like, eh, whoever will do, you know? I dunno, but if it was a vamp, they can be all, like, mind-melting, right, so it wouldn't take much to keep her from screaming, right?” Even in daylight, except it'd be harder to keep others from seeing during the day. Less people around at night, too. “Wanna check out the alley?”

#5 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

There Kiel went, proving once again that first impressions were deceiving and that he had a brain, thank-you-very-much.

Phen barely even blinked over it, as she'd always known that her friend was more intelligent than he let on, though she was proud of Kiel's observations. That began with his addition to the boyfriend/girlfriend act, since it would have looked strange if she were the only one getting all up close and personal, and was furthered as she followed him into the alley.

"I sure wish Izzy was here," Phen found herself whispering as she caught up to Kiel and let him direct where her focal attention went, "Maybe she would have some insight on how vampires hunt."
Then again, as Phen thought about it, maybe Isabel wouldn't have a clue. The vampire didn't impress Phen as the "wait in darkness for my next victim" type. Isabel was far too naive and sweet natured for that.

"If it were a casual killing," Phen said as if she had just tasted something disgusting and couldn't get the flavor out of her mouth, "Why would they choose someone so high profile? Also, what was the marshal's wife doing in this alleyway, anyway? I thought vampires have to look their victims in the eyes for their mind tricks to work."

Phen glanced up and started to explain herself, likely before Kiel would have been able to get a word in edgewise. "Then again, what I've heard is probably speculation at best. We should find out more."

"So," Phen began in a speculative tone, "So far we have a vampire in the darkness, waiting for someone to happen by."

The nyad walked right under the lamp post and turned around to face Kiel. Then she shook her head and backed up a few steps. "So they were probably lurking somewhere arou-Hey, what's this?"

Carefully lifting up her right foot, Phen checked to see what she'd felt start to press against the underside of her shoe. There, gleaming dully now that it was held up by the sole it was partly stuck to, was a brass button. Phen rescued it from her shoe with a light tug of her gloved fingers, and then swiftly wrapped the find in a handkerchief. She'd come prepared.

"It's something. Maybe nothing, but something," she muttered to herself as she looked around the area where she'd happened upon the button.

#6 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

“I dunno, maybe he grabbed her, dragged her in and then did the weird, like, mental wazoo thing on her.” Waving his hands all wibbly-wobbly either side of his head to indicate the 'mental wazoo thing', Kiel shrugged, still busy looking here, there and everywhere for clues.

Trouble was, even though he was way older than Phenny, he'd lived a pretty sheltered life. Like, you know, his family'd tried teaching everything they knew but most of it never sunk in, so they were like two babes in the woods or something.

“It does seem kinda, I dunno, more than coincidence that it just happened to be her, though, you know? I mean, big people fall harder and all that but it's weird. So if this guy was targeting her specifically, that kinda freaks me out. Going after the marshal dude, I can understand that, but his wife? And that it just happened to be this alley right as she was passing? Bleh.”

He turned his back to Phenny and stuck his head in the clouds, his face scrunched up in concentration as he nudged at random pebbles and rubbish with the toes of his boots. He was halfway down the alley, his eyes on the kids wondering if Phenny'd be terribly mad if he ditched the investigation to join their little game, when he heard her say something, and was almost all, like, "ooh ooh, whatcha got there, show me, show me!" but then remembered what she'd said about not yelling out and zipped his lip.

For now.

“Wah! I dunno what I'm even looking for, man!” he wailed, throwing his hands up in the air uselessly and starting back towards her. He could have been standing right on top of a big fat clue and he wouldn't even notice. And, okay, so, like, the Guards weren't given much better training than them, but how were they supposed to solve a case the officials couldn't? “This sucks.”

#7 User is offline   Nicolay Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:01 AM

And right across the other end of the alley, comes what the walker would hope to Kiel was a familiar shape.

That morning, Nicolay was recommended by his male guardian to the friend of his younger brother's wife's cousin who had an opening in his business that needed to be filled immediately. He wasn't very confident about his own capabilities (he hasn't even finished university for God's sake! Or as might be appropriate now in this setting, for Xanth's sake) but indebted none the less to his caretakers, he went ahead and tried his luck.

An hour and a half after he walked in and had tea with the awkward man with perpetually damp eyes who required his assistance, bearing in hand a crude map of the area and a letter his caretaker had written to introduce him, he was walking out with a job. He knew how to run and ran fast when he had to so it only made sense that he secured the job of a courier; he would be working in a team of three. According to him (he forgot his name, he ought to remember to ask his guardians when he gets back), it was going to help him get familiar with his surroundings, too...or at least that was what he thought was said to him.

A kind of glow could be seen on his face as he entered the alley. A purpose in life had been had, again, and it ought to last him until he could find his way home. Suddenly life didn't seem so bad, anymore!

And suddenly -- a good friend was there! Kiel was there, just ahead of him.

Empowered by this energy, Nicolay broke out his happy smile and called out to them, “Kiel!” And if the man (or his friend) would turn to meet him, he would wave at them while still holding the poor squished papers but just as soon would he be seen jogging to their location.

There was something new about the way he looked, too. Other than how he was so much better now or the clothes he wore (a rather popular printed tee matched with a pair of faded jeans and his pair of sneakers rescued from the muddy incident), it was the lack of white strips spiraling around his right arm. For the first time since having attained the injury, the world was finally free to gaze upon his premature scar -- a slightly-jagged, diagonal line marked by extruded, discolored skin, still blushing from the healing process.

“Hi!” he said, as soon as he was close enough to be heard without having to shout.
Posted Image
Avatar, profile picture and signature all made by ice_cubed@LJ

#8 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

Admittedly, Phen really had no experience in "catching a killer", as her mother often put it, but she did have her mother's stories. There was no doubt in Euphenia's mind that Enyo left out plenty whenever she shared details about her various jobs with her daughter, but what the skotadi had not neglected was to describe the ways to hide from and follow someone. That included how to pick up a trail so you'd have an idea on how to get started in the first place.

It helped that she'd spoke to Enyo recently about the murder, even if she hadn't given any but the most basic of advice. The sound of her mother's voice freshened her memories of previous conversations, and Euphenia tried to apply what she'd learned as she looked around for things that were out of place.

The button was a clue. Phen felt it was so, even if she couldn't prove it yet. Was there anything else to find that would help? A quick look about the same spot where she found the button revealed little more than a walkway that was badly in need of repair and deep patches of darkness occasionally brushed by a feeble shaft of light. What would have drawn a lady like the marshal's wife into a place like that?

A dirty lump of .. something .. caught Phen's eye. It could have been the leavings of one of the city's stray animals from its shape, though Phen had yet to smell even the faintest hint of excrement. Not wanting to touch it, not even with gloves on, Euphenia fetched a classic tool for such a situation, a stick. At least, she thought it was a stick. It was rather dirty and much too straight to be an unrefined branch, but it was long enough to suit her purpose. That she'd snagged it in an alley should have told her something, but she was too focused on the pile of .. well, whatever it was.

She was all set to poke at the mysterious pile of mystifying mystery when Kiel had his moment of frustration.

"Wah! I dunno what I'm even looking for, man!"

Phen stood stock still and stared down the alley at her friend. Had Kiel just yelled that? Phen consulted her ears, and they confirmed that yes, he had. Once she had that settled, Phen set herself into motion. Fast but quiet steps brought her around the pile she'd been so fascinated with, down the alley, and right next to her flustered friend.

"Kiel, what did we agree on about yelling?" the nyad gently reminded the 'vari in a soft tone while unconsciously rubbing the round brass top of the stick she'd found.

"Kiel!"

Suppressing a sudden urge to groan and cover her face with a dirt-streaked gloved palm, Phen shifted her attention to the person jogging towards them. Her light gray wings had been somewhat relaxed the entire time that she and Kiel had been mostly alone, so when the details of the newcomer were easily distinguished, Phen tucked them up tighter against her back purely out of reflex. She didn't look like much in her plain dark gray garb with a single matching woolen satchel slung over one shoulder, at least until someone noticed what parts of her the clothing didn't cover. As her genetics favored her nymph heritage, saying that Euphenia was beautiful was an understatement, even when she had a smudge of dust smeared across one cheek. Her twilight colored eyes stood out spectacularly well in contrast to her pale skin, and tendrils of wavy pale gold had escaped the looped braid she'd pulled her hair into. The soft strands framed her sweet face and made the winged nymph seem innocent and tender hearted.

Phen's method of dress was a far cry from Nicolay's, with her being more set in the dark ages and he in modern day. The same could be said of their hair, with hers light and rebellious while his was dark and looked well groomed. Phen didn't know him, but there was something she liked about him. It was one of those things that you just couldn't put your finger on. Perhaps it was that he had a friendly face, or that he seemed to have a "glow" about him that radiated confidence and contentment. Whatever it was, Phen found herself smiling in welcome long before Nicolay reached her and Kiel.

"Greetings," she responded to his "Hi!", and of course in Eylsian, "I don't believe we've met before. I'm-oh. This is not the place for introductions."

Phen looked up at Kiel and shook her head, unaware that Nicolay would be reliing more on what they did rather than what they said. "We're going to draw too much attention, Kiel. We need to get somewhere quiet and out of the way."

(( What has Phen picked up? Why, it's a gentleman's walking stick! Posted Image It's simplistic but well made, with a round brass cap on top and a smaller flatter version protecting the bottom tip. It's a bright cherry wood, with a surface glossy and smooth as silk. At least, it will be once it's cleaned up. Posted Image ))

#9 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

“Oh. Oops? Hahahahahahaha.” His laugh this time was nervous and apologetic. He knew he'd messed up but, like, hopefully nobody was paying any attention. Who would suspect a totally hawt guy like him and his alluring companion anyhow?

The way she was petting the stick drew his gaze, and Kiel opened his mouth to ask - “Wah?”

Whipping around, Kiel's face lit up. Like, he knew they were meant to be all serious and stuff, but he was happy to see his new friend and pleased he'd get to introduce the pair. Hahahahahaha, he'd make an awesome cupid, right?

“This is not the place for introductions.”

“...Weh.” Kiel froze his jaw before it could start wagging, glancing at Nic, then Phenny, then Nic again before closing his mouth properly. “Okay, but, like, he doesn't speak Elysian, okay, so you gotta taaaaaaallllllk liiiiiiiiikeeee thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.” He even made a slow circular motion with his hand to emphasise the issue, before hopping a step closer to Nic and slapping his hand at the dude's unscarred shoulder. He'd totally check how the guy was doing with that, but it was kinda hard to translate and Phenny was right about not giving too much info away while they were out in the open.

So instead, Kiel beckoned for Nic to follow, and turned to leave the alley. “But, like, Phenny, man, when'd you get a new walking stick, anyway? Like, I think you were ripped off, man, that's all gross and stuff.”

#10 User is offline   Nicolay Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

Nicolay was not a hard person to please and a good vibe was all it took to set him in the right mood. So when the lovely, skinny lady (but the good kind of skinny) said to him, “Greetings,” he instantly had his best smile on his face.

“I don't believe we've met before. I'm-”

Nicolay was quick to slide the sheets of paper into his back pocket so that his hand was free should she want a handshake.

“oh. This is not the place for introductions.”

Nicolay's lips parted and his smile fell in favor of looking half-confused -- because that did not sound like her name and that did not end like an introduction. “Oh,” he said as he looked up to Kiel who he counted on to make sense of things. Weeks ago, they met under a very unlikely circumstance and the younger brunet thought that in spite of the language barrier, they actually managed to get on well enough. He took note of Kiel's own uncertainty with a small sense of worry but as he'd expected of Kiel, the taller man was not to be defeated by such trivialities, saying “Okay, but, like, he doesn't speak Elysian, okay, so you gotta taaaaaaallllllk liiiiiiiiikeeee thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.” Nicolay laughed at that, welcoming his friend's company and standing proudly beside him when a hand was placed on his shoulder.

“You will be happy to know I am studying Elysian,” he boasted proudly in spite of the fact that he spoke like his tongue was half on fire and he only knew the bare necessities he needed to get by. It had been a long time, after all, since he got here and it was about time he started living like the folks around him. “So...no need to taaaaaaalllkkkk liiiiiikeee thiiiiiiis,” he said imitating Kiel and his actions for humor, “I'm...more good now,” he winced at the bad grammar but he'd forgotten the word, “But...still speak slowly. But not like that.” After he said this, he turned to smile at the rare beauty before him as though asking her to agree with him with a silent “Isn't that right?” She was a little too tall for his taste but her face was something he liked. He figured her looks were the kind that would sell for thousands if someone painted or photographed her and put their work up in the market.

As Kiel invited Nicolay to follow along while he addressed one Phenny (who he now figured was the pretty lady he was with), he did his best to keep up with their steps -- pulling out his crumpled sheets so he could fold them and slip them more neatly into his back pocket with his flip-open wallet. He also looked at the taller man and gave him a look of approval. Dude knew how to pick his chick!
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

((Sorry to skip Phen while you're sick, Colly, but I wanted to try and keep the plot moving a bit at a time until you're well enough to reply. <3))

Still curious about the stick Phenny'd picked up and why, Kiel stared at it a bit, but was distracted by Nic's attempt at Elysian. “Hahahahaha, it's good, it's good, don't worry, man. Like, I'm Dardanian, you know, I struggled a bit when I got over here too. Like, did you know they have a totally different word for grass? No, like, me either, and I don't remember why but it wasn't until I was actually talking about grass and people were giving me these funny looks that I realised. It's crazy, it's crazy.”

Kiel had never been big on languages, only ever paying attention to his Latin lessons 'cause he was so desperate for a dragon of his own, so he'd never noticed how different dialects of the same language could be, even in the same region, until he'd moved over to the mainland. It was so weird, man, and, like, to an outsider, Sylvan and Anyeli both sounded so similar - not that he'd had much experience with them - that at first he'd thought they were the same thing. It was only when people started pointing out the differences to him that he noticed them, but he didn't want Nic to feel bad about his poor communication skills when he hadn't even been here that long. He was doing better than Kiel would have in that situation. Not that, like, he actually knew Nic's situation since they had so much trouble communicating, but still.

Of course, despite the reminder, Kiel still kept talking at his usual pace, except for random moments where he was conscious of Nic's needs and tried harder. He wound up with a totally crazy up-down speech pattern that kinda made him sound like a dork.

But he was soon distracted all over again as the exited the alleyway and something occurred to him. “Hey, hey, like, I know it's been a couple of months, right, but, like, if somebody was killed here, shouldn't they, like, I dunno, have more evidence of blood and stuff?” As he said it, he was looking at the ground, his head tilted and his hat pushed back off his brow a bit, turning in circles to search the alley floor. As it was, he hadn't seen anything, and he was pretty sure Phenny would have said something if she'd spotted a massive red stain, but surely it couldn't have washed away this quick, right? He remembered one of Zeph's customers saying they were still trying to scrub the bloodstains out of their driveway after they had to poke a spiny cat full of holes, and he was pretty sure that happened months ago, too. “It's weird, it's weird.”

#12 User is offline   Nicolay Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

OOC: Ms. Colly! I didn't want to skip Phen, too, but what Kiel just said needed a reaction from Nicolay (an instant one) so I really hope it's okay. ♥♥♥

Dardanian? What was Dardanian?

That was the only word that had confused Nicolay, partly because he'd heard of it just recently and sounded like a name of a character in some film he'd seen back home. But he pushed it to the back of his mind and simply took note of it, reminding himself to ask his guardians about it when he does come home with good news -- the thought of which made him smile subtly wider than what he was wearing as he followed the pair out of the alleyway. It would be awesome, he thought. He couldn't wait to see the look on their faces and the meal he'd have once he tells it to them. They'd be very happy, he thought...

“Hey, hey, like, I know it's been a couple of months, right, but, like, if somebody was killed here, shouldn't they, like, I dunno, have more evidence of blood and stuff? It's weird, it's weird.”

Nicolay's steps faltered and so did the colors of his skin as the heavens came crashing down on him, his new job no longer mattering. He choked, almost coughed on his own spit as he stared widely at Kiel and his friend, frozen solid on his position just when he was about to leave that wretched stretch of land.

Oh God, if he only knew--

“Killed?!” he instantly (and rightfully!) exploded. “Someone was killed here?!”
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

"He doesn't speak Elysian," Phen repeated softly as they started to walk out of the alley, much to her relief, "So is he also from Dardanos?"

Full rosy lips returned Nicolay's smile, and Phen found herself wondering why she felt so at ease around this man. That certainly wasn't the norm, not for her. Deciding not to worry about it due to Kiel being near and the fact that Nicolay was a friend of Kiel's in the first place, Phen nodded on cue. "Are you from Dardanos?" she asked him slowly enough to carefully pronounce each syllable, but without being in danger of sounding like a simpleton. Then, to clarify, she added, "That is where Kiel is from."

"But, like, Phenny, man, when'd you get a new walking stick, anyway? Like, I think you were ripped off, man, that's all gross and stuff."

"Walking stick?" the nyad asked blankly, her expression one of puzzlement, "But I never ..."

That's when she thought to look down. Phen barely supressed a gasp of surprise when she finally realized just what she'd discovered, but the grin that swiftly came after took over her features and make her eyes sparkle like twilight hued diamonds. Oh, it was so difficult to not shout to the skies, "Ah hah! A clue! An actual clue! Take that, whoever you are!", but she swallowed the surge of triumph to instead report glowingly, "Oh, this? I found it in the alley, not far from where I stepped on that button."

Giggling quietly at Kiel's new up and down way of talking, Phen tried to shoot Nicolay an amused glance while mouthing, "He means well," very slowly.

Then Kiel went off on another tangent, and Phen was quite ready to remind him that they were trying not to draw attention to themselves, when Nicolay's voice tried its bext to make her eardrums hammer themselves into oblivion by shouting right next to her.

With a pained look, Phen fought the urge to clap both of her dirty gloved hands over Nicolay's mouth and instead put one finger up to her lips and make the universal noise of, "Shhhhhh!"

"Kiel, we need to go somewhere quiet, please." Phen's musical voice was the closest it had ever been to a hiss since she'd met the happy-go-lucky 'vari, and her eyes were flashing in annoyance. By the Goddess, did these two have any idea how much danger they were in?! How was she suspposed to protect them from the entire Guard? "Right now, before anything else happens."

Why didn't Phen start to lead the way to wherever? Well, there was a reason the nyad still had that first cumpled map of New Alexandria in her satchel. Unless she was in the wilds, Phen's sense of direction was almost zero.

#14 User is offline   Kiel Icon

• Icon

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Like, that was a definite oops!

Kiel paused mid-step, cringing slightly as Nic's voice bounced off the alley walls and performed some spectacular mid-air tricks before swan-diving back to ground level. “Ack.” It was, like, a self-reprimand and an apology and a "shhhh, quiet!" all at once, and did what Phenny wouldn't - leaped toward Nic with his hand flying up in an effort to cover the younger dude's mouth, hissing, “Shh!” And then, like, got immediately apologetic and giggled as he stepped back. “Hahahahaha, shhh, there's, like, bad people out to get Phenny, okay, and also, like, every vamp in the city but that's a whole 'nother - well its not really a whole other story, 'cause they're kinda related, but, like, yeah, we can go to my place.”

He would suggest Phenny's, but, like, he kinda figured the Birdcage would be the opposite of quiet even if it wasn't open. Like, they'd look conspicuous, two guys following a hottie like Phenny into a place like that, you know, and he didn't want her boss to get into trouble through some misunderstanding or something, you know? And also, he had cookies at home, and a nice comfy sofa, and he could totally see Shane! Man, he missed her even though he hadn't seen her since this morning...

“Follow me!” he yelled, then clapped a hand over his own mouth, his eyes blinking at Phenny over his fingers. “Oro ah,” he said, his apology muffled by the fact that he was still pressing his palm to his mouth. For, like, a second, at least, and then he punched the air with it instead, and dashed off towards his house.

((Assuming they follow and I don't need to edit (¬_¬), I think we should start another thread at Kiel's house.))

#15 User is offline   Nicolay Icon

• Noteworthy
  • Icon

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Phenny and Kiel exploding into a shushing song at him and receiving Kiel's supersized hand on his mouth only made Nicolay panic a little more so it was good that the taller man had removed it just as instantly. But there was still no way he could undo the bowl-sized eyes and the lost hinges of his jaw. Choking, he said, “Someone was k--”

“Hahahahaha, shhh, there's, like, bad people out to get Phenny, okay, and also, like, every vamp in the city but that's a whole 'nother - well its not really a whole other story, 'cause they're kinda related, but, like, yeah, we can go to my place.”

To Nicolay, things just got from bad to worse. He didn't fully understand what Kiel had said but whatever it was, it had to do something with Phenny, something terrible and vampires.

Vampires.

He felt something pushing up behind his midriff and the face he wore looked really sour and unpleasant. “Do this had something to do with--”

“Follow me!” went Kiel and after a heartbeat's worth of confusion and embarrassment had attacked the air and taken off in an urgent speed.

“W, what-- wait for me!” Nicolay said with a good sense of alarm and hurried to follow his speed but stopped five steps into the escape and whirled to look at Phenny, brows arched and looking much like a lost puppy. He wanted to go away so bad but it's rude and not nice to leave someone like Phenny unaccompanied (especially after Kiel mentioned her name earlier. He'll have to ask him about it later). So with a crumpled face, he said, “C, c'mon!” while his look added, “Please?!”

OOC: Just responding to sort of close this log for Nic but I'm all go for him visiting the house a second time. XD If Ms. Colly is responding, she's totes free to say that Nic basically went with Euphenia and would stay with her if she chooses to stay.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Euphenia Icon

• Icon

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Death wasn't something to be taken lightly, even if it was a part of the Balance. Phen knew and understood that, but at the same time she knew that the urgency of the moment had to override any horror she might have otherwise allowed to effect her judgment. With sympathy cooling her frustration, it was easier to soften her face into a slight smile. Nicolay sounded about ready to have a panic attack. His innocence made Phen wish that she could have been just as outwardly frightened as he, but that time for her was done.

"We have to get to safety," she softly and slowly said to Nicolay after Kiel was finished with his explanation, then watched as the newcomer tried to stutter out another question then ended up taking off after Kiel anyway.

It was just as well. At least that way Kiel would be up front with Phen in the rear, putting the more vulnerable of their number between them. Fully prepared to cover the backs of both men, Phen fluffed out her wings a bit and made to follow a short distance behind Nicolay.

She was brought up short when the person she was supposed to be backing up stopped and spun to shoot a desperate look her way. Phen was half tempted to dart a glance behind her, just to be sure Nicolay hadn't by some miracle heard an enemy creeping up upon them.

"C, c'mon!"

He was worried about her, and didn't want to leave her alone. The colors of Phen's eyes brightened with warmth, but her mouth set in a firm line. "No," the shake of her head said, and the nyad pointed in the direction Kiel was headed. "I'll be right behind you," she mouthed, for they were close enough he should have been able to make out the slowly formed words, "Go."

(( I think a new thread is a great idea, Ems! I shall mark this thread as finished, and you go ahead and make the other whenever you're ready. Posted Image ))

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked